Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

f we don't give way, it's our fault and bear in mind the responsibility hierarchy that makes motorists legally more responsible than cyclists and pedestrians.  Unless we are a prize idiot or psychopath none of want to be even partly to blame for injuring a fellow human do we? 

I know it is early, and I haven't had my second caffeine shot yet, but the question is, if the cycle lane is clockwise and a cyclist decides to go anti-clockwise, surely they must take some blame? Admittedly, motorists should be aware some people (cyclists/pedestrians) could make unsafe decisions, but are they supposed to be mystics who can predict what others 'might' do.

BTW - I am a pedestrian/public transport user, not a vehicle owner.

• Like 1

@RollingJ it's moot really as unless there is a court case or insurance carve up it doesn't make any difference. Any "blame" might depend on all sorts of circumstances from the age of the cyclist to the signage. That only real constant is that there is a give way junction that the roundabout user must obey whether they are in a car, van, lorry or indeed even on a pushbike. 

Personally I don't think it's worth thinking about as it just invents excuses for the poor driving standards and approach to standards seen through this thread.

We all drop clangers but we have more responsibility to others as the potential for causing harm increases. We shouldn't justify our massive clangers because somebody else made a smaller one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony said:

We all drop clangers but we have more responsibility to others as the potential for causing harm increases. We shouldn't justify our massive clangers because somebody else made a smaller one.

A decision by a cyclist to go against the 'recommended' direction of travel surely places some responsibility on them? If a vehicle driver did the same, then they are totally liable, and I understand and agree with that, but we have a bit of responsibility to make sure we look after ourselves, surely, be we pedestrians, cyclists or motorists.

I know I, as a pedestrian, make sure, as far as practicable, that I don't make avoidable errors when out and about - even when walking on a pavement.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:

So if cyclists go in the opposite direction to what is put on the plan , what happens? 

The road traffic act 1988 covers

Dangerous Cycling

Careless and Inconsiderate Cycling

Cycling under the influence of drink or drugs

( sections 28/30)

Presumably a cyclist could be prosecuted under these.

Just now, Planner1 said:

The road traffic act 1988 covers

Dangerous Cycling

Careless and Inconsiderate Cycling

Cycling under the influence of drink or drugs

( sections 28/30)

Presumably a cyclist could be prosecuted under these.

They could be, but would they?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

A decision by a cyclist to go against the 'recommended' direction of travel surely places some responsibility on them? If a vehicle driver did the same, then they are totally liable, and I understand and agree with that, but we have a bit of responsibility to make sure we look after ourselves, surely, be we pedestrians, cyclists or motorists.

I know I, as a pedestrian, make sure, as far as practicable, that I don't make avoidable errors when out and about - even when walking on a pavement.

I'm certainly not unsympathetic to your wider point but I'm struggling to worry about it. It's a second order issue and unless and until there is a specific incident it's a non issue to road users who should be giving way to everyone every time. There are so many instances of dangerously poor driving on every journey that I can't get overexcited by the possibility of a cyclist coming from the right instead of the left at my give way.

• Like 1

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

People are really reaching to try and blame cyclists for something, even before the thing has opened. 🤣

I'm not - merely wondering why common sense seemingly doesn't have to apply to them.

Just now, RollingJ said:

I'm not - merely wondering why common sense seemingly doesn't have to apply to them.

No-one is saying it doesn’t. 🤣

There are outliers in everything. The vast, vast majority of cyclists will be going the right way. Everyone’s losing their mind over the hypothetical possibility that someone might at some point maybe perhaps possibly could — gasp — go the wrong way! And a motorist may have to — oh no — be alert to potential hazards!!!

• Like 2