Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

53 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It means it makes people on foot or on bikes can get around more safely. I'm at much greater risk from motorised transport than I am from some goon with a knife.

With respect, there are just a few more motorised vehicles about.

Hopefully this new Dutch roundabout will stop traffic getting clogged up.

its an absolute mess, speaking as someone who works literally a wall away from the work been done (and deafened by it, we did have sound screens for a couple of weeks but they soon disappeared)

The road at the moment clogs up coming from the courts from about 3 onwards as traffic cant get onto the roundabout. Giving pedestrians priority there will only increase this. 

It has always been one of the congestion hotspots with people coming down the hill trying to get on the ring road. This is only going to make it worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

its an absolute mess, speaking as someone who works literally a wall away from the work been done (and deafened by it, we did have sound screens for a couple of weeks but they soon disappeared)

The road at the moment clogs up coming from the courts from about 3 onwards as traffic cant get onto the roundabout. Giving pedestrians priority there will only increase this. 

It has always been one of the congestion hotspots with people coming down the hill trying to get on the ring road. This is only going to make it worse.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Yes. The 'new part of the ring road' around Shalesmoor was supposed to fix this... but people soon realise that getting down Netherthorpe road isn't any better... if anything worse than the old option of using Tenter Street. The Netherthorpe problem could be easily fixed. The lights sequence for trams is completely over the top. 

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

The Netherthorpe problem could be easily fixed. The lights sequence for trams is completely over the top. 

let's pretend this has merit - it would only work as far as shifting a few extra cars  along to the next line of queuing traffic.

(achieving little / nothing at all)

we've been prioritising cars for 70+ years, to the detriment of every other mode - as a result - traffic is doubling every 40 years. Those of us concerned about 'traffic chaos' should be very concerned about continuing to prioritise cars.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ads36 said:

let's pretend this has merit - it would only work as far as shifting a few extra cars  along to the next line of queuing traffic.

(achieving little / nothing at all)

we've been prioritising cars for 70+ years, to the detriment of every other mode - as a result - traffic is doubling every 40 years. Those of us concerned about 'traffic chaos' should be very concerned about continuing to prioritise cars.

I'm not encouraging car use, maybe I didn't write it well. 

Let me write it another way... let's say I am car driver. I am encouraged to not use Tenter street to access the ringroad, so I use the new improved ring road - it was advertised as this and solving inner city congestion and this particular junction in particular... in fact the whole area was redesigned to make traffic flow better onto the ring road...

I try it a few times, and it's longer to take the new route... what do I do? 

To this extent, the completion of the ring road has failed. My point being was that the problem of the new ring road (or one of them) is traffic lights. 

The section at the bottom of Hoyle Street/Netherthorpe road basically has 2 sets of people. People heading to the north of the city, and people heading to the parkway to head east out of the city (this part was supposed to sort out the Tenter street problem) and this part has failed to do what it was supposed to do. 

I don't think it's the end of the world, but it needs addressing. Planners plan, and to the best of their knowledge, but tweaks can be made for unforeseen patterns. Splitting the lights would be one option onto Shalesmoor lights. Left only lights and right only lights, rather than everyone all going for it, and creating a queue at the next junction. I don't have the exact answer because I haven't driven in Sheff for a while.