Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

4 hours ago, ads36 said:

there isn't a cycle route there. build it, and the connecting links, and give it a few years, then start counting.

and hope that we got it right.

Thats echoing the Ray Liotta quote - "If you build it, they will come" - something to do with a baseball stadium if I remember correctly.

Let's consider a couple of examples that have been built in the past that would ensure people would come...

National Centre for Popular Music   🤔

World Student Games Infrastructure 🤔

Where will the "Rainbow Roundabout" if that's what it's called, fit in the list? 

And the Ecclesall road proposal.

And don't give me any "ah but..." excuses. They were touted as the best thing since sliced bread when they were being planned. It matters not where the money came from, (and I know the Ecclesall Road scheme is reported to be financed by the Department for Transport or its offspring) but it's all money taken from public finances in one way or another. How many of these types of project are being undertaken up and down the country? I don't know, but I'm sure Sheffield isn't the only place.

Of course, the country is awash with money isn't it? No problem there then.

Let me say now that I'm not against any project that actually delivers on it's promises. Improvements should be welcomed.  However, looking at the outcomes of the two things I listed above, I don't have much confidence that these current schemes will acheive what they appear to be promising.

Shouldn't we be looking for a better way of assessing the actual outcomes of these types of expenditure rather than what's predicted and assumed ?

I shall now mostly  be donning my most protective suit of armour and retiring to a safe place, usually behind the sofa...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

build it, and the connecting links, and give it a few years, then start counting.

38 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

and hope that we got it right.

Thats echoing the Ray Liotta quote - "If you build it, they will come" - something to do with a baseball stadium if I remember correctly.

Let's consider a couple of examples that have been built in the past that would ensure people would come...

National Centre for Popular Music   🤔

World Student Games Infrastructure 🤔

You misunderstood, when he said let's start counting, he meant the number of bike thieves. I don't know anyone with a decent bike who hasn't had at least one stolen.

This 'cycle' thing in Sheffield has been around for years. What the SCC (or government) don't get is that Sheffield is bloody hilly!

If Sheffield was flat... I would be in favour of all of these cycle lanes stuff. I cycle everywhere where I live now... because it's flat! It's only 41p on the subway for up to anywhere that I go, but if I'm less than a couple of miles away, I use a bike, as it's free for half an hour and only about 20p if I go over that. 

If there is an electric one available, I usually pick that one too, because I am a bit lazy. (that isn't free, it's 20p for half hour)

23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

That thought did cross my mind.

me too!

Woo!

I crossed off 'Sheffield is hilly' on my bingo card!!!

Hills have not been proven to be a significant deterrant to cycling. Many places around the world have hills and an abundance of cycling. 

From the conclusion of this study: "Analysis demonstrates that geographic endowments are not an important determinant of cycling heterogeneity across metros. Once cultural, demographic and cross-state variations are controlled for, the role of both climate and topography is close to zero."

In fact, San Francisco - famous for its hills - has been named the US's most cycling friendly city for several years running.

Look at places like Trondheim, Washington DC, Seattle, Portland, Perugia, Seoul,  or even towns and cities around the Rockies or the Alps. People go there to cycle!

And with modern technology, E-Bikes make hills easy anyway.

So, can we stop with this myth about hills deterring cycling now?

• Like 1

Everything is terrible and will never work - why can't they just bring John Lewis and heavy industry back?

Please some help me; im trapped in my house and can't get out. CHANGE and THE 21st CENTURY are outside my front door threatening my existence :cry:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Everything is terrible and will never work - why can't they just bring John Lewis and heavy industry back?

Please some help me; im trapped in my house and can't get out. CHANGE and THE 21st CENTURY are outside my front door threatening my existence :cry:

What about the Hole In The Road, and Redgates! Bring those back too! 

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What about the Hole In The Road, and Redgates! Bring those back too! 

One wonders if RollingJ was knocking down the doors of town hall back in the 60s, asking if this new-fangled hole-in-the-road was VFRS (VALUE FOR REAL SHEFELDERS)?!

• Haha 1