Sheffield's First Dutch-Style Roundabout Nears Completion at West Bar

7 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Everything is terrible and will never work - why can't they just bring John Lewis and heavy industry back?

Please some help me; im trapped in my house and can't get out. CHANGE and THE 21st CENTURY are outside my front door threatening my existence :cry:

Funny how when John Lewis was open for many years people HATED it and wanted the old 'Coles Corner' back.

(Similar to how @HeHasRisen's suggestion of the Hole in the Road was pretty much universally hated and was pretty mucha pee-stinking no-go-area in it's latter years).

9 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Everything is terrible and will never work - why can't they just bring John Lewis and heavy industry back?

Please some help me; im trapped in my house and can't get out. CHANGE and THE 21st CENTURY are outside my front door threatening my existence :cry:

Possibly the finest post in the entirety of Sheffield Forum - well said @AndrewC

I would definitely watch a 36 minute film of this post on a constant loop - no sound interference either

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Funny how when John Lewis was open for many years people HATED it and wanted the old 'Coles Corner' back.

(Similar to how @HeHasRisen's suggestion of the Hole in the Road was pretty much universally hated and was pretty mucha pee-stinking no-go-area in its latter years).

“ in its latter years “  Yes when it was allowed to be run down by the  council 

28 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

In fact, San Francisco - famous for its hills - has been named the US's most cycling friendly city for several years running.

Hahaha. That's because  they enjoy coasting  downhill and  pay somebody else to take them back to the top.

25 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Woo!

I crossed off 'Sheffield is hilly' on my bingo card!!!

Hills have not been proven to be a significant deterrant to cycling. Many places around the world have hills and an abundance of cycling. 

From the conclusion of this study

In fact, San Francisco - famous for its hills - has been named the US's most cycling friendly city for several years running.

And with modern technology, E-Bikes make hills easy anyway.

So, can we stop with this myth about hills deterring cycling now?

My studies include picking up thousands of students in my taxi over the years who brought their bikes to Sheffield, and changed their minds when their bikes were stolen, or they couldn't be arsed with the hills. 

My study was in Sheffield, not the USA.

22 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

If that's a dig at me, then I said nothing of the sort, in fact over the years in here, I've said quite the opposite. The heavy industry was a loss making dirty outdated industry that had long been outdone by other countries with cheaper labour and similar products, and not the lovely world that the unions and the posters in here made it out to be.

Sheffield, and England as a whole is no where near the 21st century. Going back to England is like reading a Victorian storybook, and these days made even worse because old ideas are thought as new ideas, but twice the price, and half the quality or success.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

If that's a dig at me, then I said nothing of the sort, in fact over the years in here, I've said quite the opposite. The heavy industry was a loss making dirty outdated industry that had long been outdone by other countries with cheaper labour and similar products, and not the lovely world that the unions and the posters in here made it out to be.

Sheffield, and England as a whole is no where near the 21st century. Going back to England is like reading a Victorian storybook, and these days made even worse because old ideas are thought as new ideas, but twice the price, and half the quality or success.

It was a dig at a few specific people but not you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

If Sheffield was flat... I would be in favour of all of these cycle lanes stuff. I cycle everywhere where I live now... because it's flat! It's only 41p on the subway for up to anywhere that I go, but if I'm less than a couple of miles away, I use a bike, as it's free for half an hour and only about 20p if I go over that. 

If there is an electric one available, I usually pick that one too, because I am a bit lazy. (that isn't free, it's 20p for half hour)

me too!

41 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Woo!

I crossed off 'Sheffield is hilly' on my bingo card!!!

Why did you skip all of this part? I explained here (Asia) how things work well and you just skipped past it all with a sarcastic comment. 

The bike scheme here is used by everybody. It's cheap, they're everywhere. Sheffield tried this, and what happened to all of those cheap bikes? Tell me anyone? Dare anyone write what happened to them?

Now, if you buy your own bike, what are the chances of that lasting more than a minute in the centre of town if you leave it?

Even though the subway is cheap here, it's flat, so the bikes are a good option. I tend to use a mixture of both if I'm going somewhere far away, get the subway to close to where I want to be, then get a bike outside the station and cycle to where I want to be. 

Compare this with Sheffield... can you go to a hire a bike from almost every street corner? Scan your phone then start cycling?

The cost of this junction alone could have paid for a cycle system. Sheffield isn't big enough for even a small subway system I think, so buses are the alternative, 

Cycling in Sheffield is just that. You need to own a bike, and use it from A to B. No choice. You can't leave it anywhere. You can't go from one option to another. 

Tick this response on your bingo card.

• Like 1