Dark Web

I used to have an Hotmail email address . I haven't used it for years ,because it was being compromised by I think hackers . I am now on a different address , & have got more security on that . I have Macafee , which recently warned me ,my previous address was found on the dark web . I wasn't shocked to be fair , but glad I can no longer access that account . Any of you had problems ? 

There's the excellent 'Have I Been Pwned' site, which let you know if your email address has been included in known leaks:

https://haveibeenpwned.com

It is always worth checking there to see if your info has leaked and for advice on what to do.

Remember though, always try to use unique, strong passwords for everything you log in to - if one site gets hacked/leaked and you use the same passwords elsewhere there's a good chance someone will try to access your other sites. A password manager is good for this.

Depends how careful you are, I suppose - I've had a computer at home for 30 years, and apart from someone somehow finding my password on here, and my email address, but not the associated password on a now defunct online  shop - their fault, I'm not aware of any loss of my data.

16 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Depends how careful you are, I suppose - I've had a computer at home for 30 years, and apart from someone somehow finding my password on here, and my email address, but not the associated password on a now defunct online  shop - their fault, I'm not aware of any loss of my data.

Someone found your password on here? When? How (do you know?)?

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Someone found your password on here? When? How (do you know?)?

Way before you took over - I only noticed it because they used it as my 'name'  in the message, and to be honest I did nothing about it, all my passwords are site-unique and a small forum like this is nothing to worry about - it contains nothing of interest.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Way before you took over - I only noticed it because they used it as my 'name'  in the message, and to be honest I did nothing about it, all my passwords are site-unique and a small forum like this is nothing to worry about - it contains nothing of interest.

That's very odd!

If you haven't already, I'd change the password to something secure just in case.

All information like that is securely held in a hashed format - even I can't access people's passwords, etc. There are some extra security measures coming in the next big site update (such as requiring email address login rather than username) but it is always good to do what you can to keep things secure just in case.

7 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

That's very odd!

If you haven't already, I'd change the password to something secure just in case.

All information like that is securely held in a hashed format - even I can't access people's passwords, etc. There are some extra security measures coming in the next big site update (such as requiring email address login rather than username) but it is always good to do what you can to keep things secure just in case.

It was years ago - literally, and I did alter it - later, sorry about saying I didn't earlier. It got changed when I did a check on all my passwords after a couple more incidents. New ones are always now secure browser-generated ones, but as nothing happened with regard to the SF 'leak' , other than a few more obvious spam emails which ceased after a couple of weeks, I just added a character to the original and re-ordered the sequence.

Not had any trouble - from any site for a long time. BTW, I know about password security - when I was working, our IT department insisted we changed our passwords for our intranet every 10 days.

• Like 1