South Yorkshire to Ban Junk Food Adverts on Buses and Trams

3 minutes ago, redruby said:

Yes, it is ridiculous, those exceptions stood out to me too!

Also, some of the foods listed are basically just normal food.  Perhaps not the very healthiest food but fine in moderation and not the type food that appeals especially to you g people.  I sometimes wonder if the people who devise these lists think we all live on fruit and vegetables alone!

These people live in a totally different time-warp on a completely different planet.

• Like 2

I usually like a good type and rant. But, what can you say about this nonsense?

Almost unreal. However, I might copy and paste this for my future teaching classes.

When I told one of my students the other day that England had a sugar tax - she didn't believe me. 

But this just takes the biscuit. (with no sugar and added aspartame)

The choices in England for governments and councils is just so bad. Sugar taxes with one, stupid adverts ideas on buses and trams, it's too laughable. 

My first thought was the same as post 2. In fact, because this is an IELTS question, I asked my student about 'what is junk food', because the IELTS question clearly links 'fast food' and 'junk food'.

I asked her if I opened a fast food place that served healthy burgers, then am I serving junk food?

Then after her blank look, realised that IELTS questions don't delve into British nonsense logic!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stannington Lad said:

Putting it sort of bluntly, what kind of person is suckered in by any type of advert?  What goes through peoples' minds when they see all that jazz? 

The fatties think 'nom nom nom' - they don't worry about living past 30 years old when they could be eating pizza instead

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As a point of interest, I haven't seen 'junk food' advertised on buses for a long while - on those obtrusive big ad boards at bus stops - yes, but not on buses.

I remember there being special offers for McDonalds on the back of bus tickets.  It must be quite a few years ago now but I think they ran that promotion for quite a long time.

I’m not convinced by this latest idea to ban junk food adverts on buses at all.  Something I have noticed increasingly recently is the ever increasing number of food stalls popping up around Meadowhall.  Most of these are for doughnuts/cake/cookies etc.  All in large portions.  Now I wouldn’t want to deny people a treat on a shopping trip but at the same people didn’t used to consume these items in such quantities regularly.  And these stalls are literally getting in your face and can’t be avoided in Meadowhall (and I’m sure in similar places).  That I think is something that DOES increase junk food intake.  Along with all the late night takeaways frequented by young people.  I much doubt if anything will be done about these outlets (or perhaps should be) but I don’t think the customers of these outlets will stop using them without bus or TV adverts.  They advertise themselves by their location!

• Like 1

That McD offer was many years ago - and it was not an advert 'on the buses' - it was on the back of your ticket, which I'm guessing the majority of people didn't even look at.

The outlets you refer to in your second (long) paragraph are nothing to do with the subject of this topic.