South Yorkshire to Ban Junk Food Adverts on Buses and Trams

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That McD offer was many years ago - and it was not an advert 'on the buses' - it was on the back of your ticket, which I'm guessing the majority of people didn't even look at.

The outlets you refer to in your second (long) paragraph are nothing to do with the subject of this topic.

I know it was on the back of the bus tickets - I actually said that in my post.  It was just a comment about bus advertising in general.

As for the other part of your reply,  I will refer back to the ‘bickering, gate keeping and low level bullying’ thread again.  This is another example of all of the above.  

1 minute ago, redruby said:

I know it was on the back of the bus tickets - I actually said that in my post.  It was just a comment about bus advertising in general.

As for the other part of your reply,  I will refer back to the ‘bickering, gate keeping and low level bullying’ thread again.  This is another example of all of the above.  

I know you said it was on the tickets - I don't dispute that, but what has it to do with the non-existent ads on the buses themselves?

14 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Fortunately, the government have already done so, for the purposes of such bans:

Under the new rules a particular food will be banned if it meets two criteria. 

Firstly, if it is classified as “less healthy” on a government scoring system after its nutrients have been analysed – this includes salt, fat, sugar and protein.

Secondly, if it falls into one of 13 categories created by the government. They include:

• Soft drinks: This covers any product that contains added sugar such as cola, lemonade and squash. It also includes fruit juice, smoothies and energy drinks. 

• Savoury snacks: Crisps mainly, but this also extends to crackers, rice cakes, tortilla chips and Bombay mix. There are exemptions for flavoured nuts, dried fruit and jerky.

• Breakfast cereal: This includes granola, muesli, porridge oats and other items you would find in the breakfast aisle of a supermarket.

• Chocolates and sweets: This applies to the vast majority of items you would find listed under confectionery, but also includes popcorn and chewing gum.

• Ice cream: Dairy and non-dairy products, such as ice lollies, are covered by this as well as frozen yoghurt, sorbet and gelato.

• Cakes and cupcakes: Flapjacks, doughnuts and éclairs are also included in this category - but icing is exempted.

• Biscuits and bars: Protein and cereal bars are included, as are other products like wafers and toaster pastries.

• Morning goods: Croissants, pain au chocolat and other pastries are the main foods covered here - but this category also extends to crumpets, scones, fruit loaves and hot cross buns.

• Desserts and puddings: Custard, jelly and mousses are included, but there are exemptions for tinned fruit, cream and syrups.

• Yoghurt: Any variety that has been sweetened is covered by this category, as are non-dairy alternatives, probiotic yoghurt and drinkable varieties.

• Pizza: Plain bases and garlic bread are exempted from this, but otherwise all sizes and types of pizza are included.

• Potatoes: Plain and sweet varieties that have not been cut or cooked are exempt, but several other potato-based products are included such as chips, hash browns and croquettes.

• Ready meals: A broad category that covers anything intended to be eaten as a main meal, often after being reheated, and requires no further preparation. It also includes sandwiches and burgers.

Other foods also exempted from the ban include infant formula and baby food, weight control products, meal replacement products, food supplements and drinks used for medicinal purposes.

Kebabs ......?

Come to think of it, the only bus adverts that I’ve actually noticed are for films (on side of bus) and on the back of the bus a brand of overpriced multivitamins and some kind of weight loss program with before and after pictures included.  The irony!
Oh, and another one aimed at potential advertisers.

I must be missing all the junk food advertising on buses then and there obviously there isn’t a waiting list to advertise on buses!

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Come to think of it, the only bus adverts that I’ve actually noticed are for films (on side of bus) and on the back of the bus a brand of overpriced multivitamins and some kind of weight loss program with before and after pictures included.  The irony!

I must be missing all the junk food advertising on buses then and there obviously there isn’t a waiting list to advertise on buses!

The only "ad" I remember on public transport was when they used to do the £1.99 McDonalds/Burger King offers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pfifes said:

Spot on - those are the only ads on buses these days - if you are talking about FSY/Stagecoach. TMT have some slightly different ones,  but their vehicles also serve Derbyshire.

As I said previously, this is Coppard & co grandstanding (with incorrect information) in an attempt to make themselves look important, and failing miserably.

The HMG list of foods does seem odd, I'd agree, but don't forget that this isn't just a Coppard initiative, as alluded to in the very opening sentence of this topic.

"South Yorkshire will join a national movement to ban junk food adverts on public transport, including buses and trams, in a bid to reduce childhood obesity."

Coppard has joined with other mayors, who may well have busses operating with different advertising to those in Sheffield; it isn't just about current advertising, it's to influence future advertising as well.

Bee for instance are bringing other services/operators to within their network  [Transport for Greater Manchester link]

News: UK Mayors Pledge to Stop Junk Food Advertising.        Obesity Health Alliance

Nine UK mayors have backed Jamie Oliver’s ‘AdEnough’ campaign to stop the relentless bombardment of outdoor junk-food advertising, with a commitment to banning junk food marketing across the areas they control and protect the health and well-being of their communities.

The Mayors have come together with a pledge to help stop children being exposed to harmful junk food advertising on public transport.

The commitment means any Mayor introducing bus franchising powers will ban the adverts, with the same ban introduced on Metro systems, over the coming years.

The places we live in are flooded with unhealthy food. It’s in our schools, on our supermarket shelves and high streets, and is often heavily and manipulatively marketed.

In January, it was reported that almost one in four children aged 10 and 11 in England have obesity according to a study by the National Institute for Health and Care Research Southampton Biomedical Research Centre and University of Southampton.

Also advertising restrictions on certain foodstuffs isn't a new idea, some aspects were introduced by the previous government, and then put off until 2025

Sunak faces backlash over delay to junk food pre-watershed ads ban  Guardian
Scrapping of adverts for foods high in fat, salt and sugar before 9pm will not now take effect until 2025