South Yorkshire to Ban Junk Food Adverts on Buses and Trams

2 minutes ago, peak4 said:

The HMG list of foods does seem odd, I'd agree, but don't forget that this isn't just a Coppard initiative, as alluded to in the very opening sentence of this topic.

"South Yorkshire will join a national movement to ban junk food adverts on public transport, including buses and trams, in a bid to reduce childhood obesity."

Coppard has joined with other mayors, who may well have busses operating with different advertising to those in Sheffield; it isn't just about current advertising, it's to influence future advertising as well.

Bee for instance are bringing other services/operators to within their network  [Transport for Greater Manchester link]

News: UK Mayors Pledge to Stop Junk Food Advertising.        Obesity Health Alliance

Nine UK mayors have backed Jamie Oliver’s ‘AdEnough’ campaign to stop the relentless bombardment of outdoor junk-food advertising, with a commitment to banning junk food marketing across the areas they control and protect the health and well-being of their communities.

The Mayors have come together with a pledge to help stop children being exposed to harmful junk food advertising on public transport.

The commitment means any Mayor introducing bus franchising powers will ban the adverts, with the same ban introduced on Metro systems, over the coming years.

The places we live in are flooded with unhealthy food. It’s in our schools, on our supermarket shelves and high streets, and is often heavily and manipulatively marketed.

In January, it was reported that almost one in four children aged 10 and 11 in England have obesity according to a study by the National Institute for Health and Care Research Southampton Biomedical Research Centre and University of Southampton.

Also advertising restrictions on certain foodstuffs isn't a new idea, some aspects were introduced by the previous government, and then put off until 2025

Sunak faces backlash over delay to junk food pre-watershed ads ban  Guardian
Scrapping of adverts for foods high in fat, salt and sugar before 9pm will not now take effect until 2025

All of which is irrelevant to the topic title, as buses in South Yorkshire do not carry so-called 'junk food' adverts anyway.

26 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

All of which is irrelevant to the topic title, as buses in South Yorkshire do not carry so-called 'junk food' adverts anyway.

But as the links show, it isn't just about current advertising, it's about future as well.
As such, I thought it relevant to the title, and sought to provide more information as to the background.

2 minutes ago, peak4 said:

But as the links show, it isn't just about current advertising, it's about future as well.
As such, I thought it relevant to the title, and sought to provide more information as to the background.

Fair enough, but the bit about South Yorkshire, mentioning Coppard reads:

The ban is part of a larger national effort to tackle unhealthy food advertising. It is already in force on London’s public transport network, with other regions such as Greater Manchester and Liverpool also planning to implement the ban. In South Yorkshire, the removal of junk food adverts will be rolled out once local authorities gain greater control over bus services.

As SY buses do not carry, and haven't for some considerable time, 'junk food' adverts, this is rather like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I suspect it is more to do with Coppards ego than anything else, and, as an aside,  who says council control of the bus service is better - TfL are losing money hand over fist, and cutting services.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But... they do!

I saw a Subway ad on a bus the other day, and I'm pretty sure I remember a recent tram advert for Deliveroo promoting Five Guys and KFC.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

But... they do!

I saw a Subway ad on a bus the other day, and I'm pretty sure I remember a recent tram advert for Deliveroo promoting Five Guys and KFC.

Which operator did you see the Subway ad on? And when did you see the tram advert - as SYMCA now 'own' the tram network, that is up to them to sort.

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Which operator did you see the Subway ad on? And when did you see the tram advert - as SYMCA now 'own' the tram network, that is up to them to sort.

Honestly couldn't give a 100% accurate answer for either. 

The Subway ad stuck in my mind because I was at that moment thinking about what to eat for lunch as we passed it (didn't eat Subway though!).

The tram advert would have been in the last year, but I don't know exactly.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Honestly couldn't give a 100% accurate answer for either. 

The Subway ad stuck in my mind because I was at that moment thinking about what to eat for lunch as we passed it (didn't eat Subway though!).

The tram advert would have been in the last year, but I don't know exactly.

Well, I use the bus network on a very regular frequency, and the only ads I see on buses in Sheffield are for films, these days. I  suspect the Subway one was on a bus run by a smaller operator who usually used it in an area where the council are less like control freaks, but had been used in Sheffield to cover for a vehicle shortage.

As I don't use the tram, and the ad was 'in the last year', it has probably gone.

48 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

But... they do!

A Subway isn’t necessarily ‘junk food’.  There is a lot to choose from and depends on your selection!

That list is just ridiculous.  Why is a prepared sandwich junk food but a home made one presumably not?  The pre prepared sandwich might be healthier depending on ingredient selection.  Human beings can’t live on fruit and vegetables alone. Not to mention the ridiculous exemptions for icing and syrup that we can  all do without!

• Like 1

When I read the list, I thought it's nearly everything,  if I crave something sweet i,e,  two doughnuts then it's a meal replacement and not an everyday thing.

Nuts aren't filling so they're out.

Shall have to check the yogurt packs.

I don't smoke or drink,  should count for something.

Need a chef,