South Yorkshire to Ban Junk Food Adverts on Buses and Trams

16 minutes ago, redruby said:

A Subway isn’t necessarily ‘junk food’.  There is a lot to choose from and depends on your selection!

That list is just ridiculous.  Why is a prepared sandwich junk food but a home made one presumably not?  The pre prepared sandwich might be healthier depending on ingredient selection.  Human beings can’t live on fruit and vegetables alone. Not to mention the ridiculous exemptions for icing and syrup that we can  all do without!

Subway bread is full of sugar iirc. 

Yes - Subway bread is very unhealthy.

In fact, in Ireland they were ruled to be so sugary they legally weren't allowed to call it bread.

A number of other ingredients are quite unheathy there too - anything marinated, and all the sauces in particular. Even without sauces each of the sandwiches range from 500 to over 1000 calories.

The only way to get something healthy from Subway is to just eat the salad on its own, really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Subway bread is full of sugar iirc. 

It depends what you choose though doesn’t it?  You don’t have to have a sub loaded with cheese/meat/mayo etc.  You can have a salad or a wrap instead.

Not that I’m a big fan of Subway personally.  I tried them a couple of times and wasn’t impressed.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

When I read the list, I thought it's nearly everything,  if I crave something sweet i,e,  two doughnuts then it's a meal replacement and not an everyday thing.

Nuts aren't filling so they're out.

Shall have to check the yogurt packs.

I don't smoke or drink,  should count for something.

Need a chef,

Apparently nuts (or the unsalted variety) are healthy and despite a high fat content don’t cause weight gain (within reason of course!)

Everything in moderation and all that. 

I once saw a docu (that annoying guy who goes to see people who live in unusual places, or remote places) but I like his shows. 

I once saw one and a guy lived on nothing but bananas. (It's just reminded me, because I'm eating one now :hihi:)

and he seemed fit enough. Seems you can live on just them!

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Sugar - in bread? :huh:

Foot-long Subway buns contain at least six grams of sugar, according to the company's nutritional information. The sweetest type of “bread” on the menu, the nine-grain honey oat, has 10 grams of sugar, while the gluten-free bread contains 14 grams of sugar

2 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Foot-long Subway buns contain at least six grams of sugar, according to the company's nutritional information. The sweetest type of “bread” on the menu, the nine-grain honey oat, has 10 grams of sugar, while the gluten-free bread contains 14 grams of sugar

Fair enough - how much sugar does a standard granary/wholemeal/ white bread contain?