Israel / Gaza / Lebanon / Iran War Thread

On 28/09/2024 at 16:15, banjodeano said:

I believe Israel is trying its best to provoke Iran and Lebanon into a full scale war, if that happens Israels Iron dome will not work to protect the country, therefore the Americans will be dragged into the conflict

You mean by Israel making the war wider America will have to act on Israel's side,  that would be catastrophic for the west as well,  we want countries 

to help to diffuse future war situations,  they are bad news for everyone.

(Mossad - Israeli Intelligence Service)

Edited by cressida
  • Like 1

I'm a little surprised no-one has mentioned this yet; clearly I'm not in  position to verify any of it, nor am I passing comment of approval/disapproval.

World reacts to alleged Israeli attack on UN peacekeepers in Lebanon Al Jazeera, but widely reported elsewhere
The UN Interim Force in Lebanon says the attack on its peacekeepers was a ‘deliberate’ act by Israeli forces.

Following this a couple of days ago

Satellite Images Show Israeli Military Presence Near UN Base in Lebanon  BellingCat

UNIFIL released a statement on October 6 saying it was “deeply concerned by recent activities by the IDF immediately adjacent to the Mission’s position 6-52.”

It stressed that it was “unacceptable to compromise the safety of UN peacekeepers”.
UNIFIL’s mandate is not to enforce but to monitor peace in the area.

It also assists the army of Lebanon in keeping the area free of any armed personnel.

and this just previously

Ireland and UNIFIL reject Israeli request to withdraw peacekeepers from Lebanon ReliefWeb

In defiance of growing regional tension, Ireland, alongside the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), has rejected a request by the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) to remove Irish peacekeepers stationed near the Lebanese border.

As hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah escalate, with the IDF advancing into southern Lebanon, the demand for the withdrawal of peacekeeping forces, including Ireland’s contingent, has been met with firm resistance.

Hezbollah tells fighters not to attack Israeli troops near peacekeepers Arab News
BEIRUT, Lebanon: The Iran-backed Hezbollah group said on Monday it ordered its fighters not to attack Israeli troops who recently moved behind a UN peacekeeping position near a Lebanese border village.
The statement came a day after UNIFIL had warned Israel’s operations near their position at Maroun Al-Ras were “extremely dangerous” and compromised their safety, adding it had repeatedly informed Israel of their concerns.
It ordered fighters “not to take action... to preserve the lives of the peacekeepers,” quoting a field commander in its statement.

Israeli troops move away from Irish forces in Lebanon BBC

Israel's armed forces have moved away from their positions near Irish troops in Lebanon, the Irish Defence Forces have confirmed.

It comes after the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) expressed concern about the Israeli Defence Forces' (IDF) proximity to an outpost where a number of Irish peacekeepers are stationed.

I remember when Jeremy  was reporting on the Lebanon invasion in about 1982.

He witness the isrealis murder a Press Team, right in view of him.

There's no doubt it is IDF policy.

A first class.and honourable jounalist

21 minutes ago, cressida said:

Jeremy Bowen BBC Middle East correspondent is of the opinion Israel is escalating the war against Hezbollah.

It's war so it's not surprising it's escalating. I'll wager it'll escalate a fair bit further before it finally ends too. It's a shocking waste of life and needs to be stopped. 

However the chances of it being stopped any time soon is Zero in my opinion 

Israel started out saying it was  doing targeted attacks in Gaza, Now much of Gaza is in ruins. It has ordered all Gaza hospitals to be evacuated. It told people in the north of Gaza to move to the south, then bombed the south. Thousands of innocent children have been killed. It appears they are doing the same to Beirut / south Lebanon.

And still land grabs on the West Bank of any Palestinian or Bedouin land backed up by the army.

It would be condemned as "ethnic cleansing" by anyone else,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, butlers said:

I remember when Jeremy  was reporting on the Lebanon invasion in about 1982.

He witness the isrealis murder a Press Team, right in view of him.

There's no doubt it is IDF policy.

A first class.and honourable jounalist

Well worth making time to see him speak if you get the chance.
We saw him at the Buxton International  Festival last year, speaking about his book "The Making of the Modern Middle East: A Personal History"
He did describe this incident .

Terrible nightmares that meant reporter Bowen had to get help   Wales on-line
BROADCASTER Jeremy Bowen has revealed he needed therapy for post-traumatic distress after witnessing a friend being killed while on location.

He was haunted by nightmares and flashbacks after he had watched helplessly as his friend and local fixer, Abed Takkoush, was killed right before his eyes, when his car was blown up by an Israeli tank shell in Lebanon in 2000, on the last day of Israeli occupation.

• Like 1