Israel / Gaza / Lebanon / Iran War Thread

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I’m not sure that you are correct. Anyway, that’s an irrelevance. I was just pointing out that most nations don’t side with Israel.

That would be the Arab/Muslim ones,  Egypt and Jordan want to be neutral,  Israel are making enemies,  which they'll have to accept when Netanyahu goes.

4 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I’m not sure that you are correct. Anyway, that’s an irrelevance. I was just pointing out that most nations don’t side with Israel.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

That would be the Arab/Muslim ones,  Egypt and Jordan want to be neutral,  Israel are making enemies,  which they'll have to accept when Netanyahu goes.

Here's the result of a recent vote; both Egypt & Jordan voted for an end to the occupation, rather than abstaining.

Something odd going on with the Pacific island states, though I guess they have their own internal politics to consider, as well as the wider picture.

Pacific Island States Continue Disproportionate Support of Israel at the UN  The Diplomat [4 free articles/month on Asia/Pacific]
As the U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly called for a ceasefire in Gaza, why were Pacific Island states overrepresented in opposition, abstention, and absence?

Argentina and Paraguay is far to complex for me to pretend to understand, as I don't really follow South American politics, other than a brief read-up before we went to Peru.
First two links are likely to be biased reporting, though likely still broadly factual, fourth one from a different continent
Why is Argentina becoming a 'great friend' of Israel amid its war crimes in Gaza? MEE
Paraguay consolidates its historical ties with Israeli colonialism and indigenous repression MEM

The situation in the Middle East [item 37] and Question of Palestine [item 38]   Argentine Government [supporting 2 state solution]

Brazil and Paraguay take opposite sides regarding ICJ case against Israel    South Atlantic News Agency
INTERACTIVE-UNGA-vote-18-SEP-2024-172667

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Are you serious?

The last world cup was nothing but a Saudi Arabia pile on.

Qatar held the world cup.

Saudi Arabia are desperately trying to fit in and using other sports to become more appealing.

My point was that views regards women and other things like homosexuality, is probably not much different to Iran.

But the West don't talk much about it because we know why. Same reason 🇺🇸 bombed Afghanistan after 9/11 despite the "terrorists" being Arab.

Just now, Baz1 said:

Qatar held the world cup.

Saudi Arabia are desperately trying to fit in and using other sports to become more appealing.

My point was that views regards women and other things like homosexuality, is probably not much different to Iran.

But the West don't talk much about it because we know why. Same reason 🇺🇸 bombed Afghanistan after 9/11 despite the "terrorists" being Arab.

My bold.

I firmly believe that was  mossad. 

But anyway, who ever did it we ended up in an illegal war, over a million died and we left the place in absolute shambles.

Yet WE in the West still think we are morally superior to anyone else and can tell other countries how they should behave.

It makes me want to 🤮

• Like 2