Israel / Gaza / Lebanon / Iran War Thread

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

I despise the Iranian regime, let's get that out of the way first. I've supported some of the victims of that regime to settle in the UK, I know what they're like. 

When Hamas carried out their atrocity on 7 October, world leaders were unanimous that Israel had the right to defend itself. I agree, but most people in the UK seem to agree that Israel has gone much, much further than simply defending itself. This includes an attack on Iran's consulate in Syria, killing several members of Iran's armed forces. Now the same world leaders who said Israel had the right to defend itself are saying Iran should not retaliate against Israel. This is surely total hypocrisy.

Keep in mind that Iran is supporting proxy wars in the region by funding Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthi's and supporting the Syrian regime. Hezbollah attacks on Israel have increased since the Hamas attack and Israel's response to it.

That said, I do think the attack on the Iranian consulate was Netanyahu poking Iran to discourage the US from pressuring Israel to provide food/etc. to Palestinians in Gaza.

2 hours ago, altus said:

That said, I do think the attack on the Iranian consulate was Netanyahu poking Iran to discourage the US from pressuring Israel to provide food/etc. to Palestinians in Gaza.

and to keep America engaged with the war, it's deeply unpopular there (well everywhere obviously)

Technically it wasn't the consulate, it was outside of the consulate compound wasn't it?

Edited by geared

It's a bit rich saying Iran should be able to defend itself. Israel wouldn't be retaliating if Iran hadn't kicked it off by massively funding Hamas and other groups who are targeting Israel.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

It's a bit rich saying Iran should be able to defend itself. Israel wouldn't be retaliating if Iran hadn't kicked it off by massively funding Hamas and other groups who are targeting Israel.

It's not as if that was the first act in the decades-long Israel/Palestine saga though is it. We can all argue about who ultimately 'started it' and when, but my point is about the selective way that a government's right to defend itself or retaliate is being applied here. If a foreign government attacked and killed several British diplomatic and military staff, the general feeling in the UK and its government wouldn't be "yeah, fair enough actually lads. Let's call it quits, eh?"

Edited by Delbow

Western hypocrisy at play again, Israel attacking Irans embassy was deliberate to provoke war because no country can allow their embassy to be attacked without retaliation.

Iranian drones and missiles are on the way according to Aljazeera.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander so let’s see how it plays out,

The war has now started proper and Iran is better armed then the unarmed Palestinians…

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

It's not as if that was the first act in the decades-long Israel/Palestine saga though is it. We can all argue about who ultimately 'started it' and when, but my point is about the selective way that a government's right to defend itself or retaliate is being applied here. If a foreign government attacked and killed several British diplomatic and military staff, the general feeling in the UK and its government wouldn't be "yeah, fair enough actually lads. Let's call it quits, eh?"

Well no, but that's kind of my point. It was made to sound like Iran is totally innocent and has been attacked out of nowhere. If you fund terrorist organisations to go and rape and mutilate women and children, then you can't start crying when it comes full circle. If you play with fire you get burnt.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I see your point but Israel didn't invade Iran, slaughter loads, rape and torture families then take hostages and drag them through the street whilst fellow citizens spat on them.

How many countries has Iran invaded?

(none)

17 hours ago, altus said:

Keep in mind that Iran is supporting proxy wars in the region by funding Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthi's and supporting the Syrian regime. Hezbollah attacks on Israel have increased since the Hamas attack and Israel's response to it.

Israel is the USA proxy/ military outpost in the Middle East, Ukraine is being used by the west to fight with Russia etc

Why is it ok for Israel to go striking other countries against international law but when a country like Iran retaliates which it is allowed under the UN charter it is somehow not allowed?

The CIA funds different groups all around the world and even pays some of them in narcotics.

I have no love for Iran, it’s the rank hypocrisy and double standards that don’t sit comfortably with me, Israel has nuclear weapons that it has not declared officially but then goes around assassinating scientists in other countries under the guise of preventing  them from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Attacking other countries  embassies is an act of war so how can Israel get away with doing that? (On the news it said that they had privately admitted to doing it)

This is the problem with the west and then we wonder why people around the world don’t like us and want to harm us.

• Thanks 1