Future pandemic as big as Covid is inevitable, says Prof. Whitty

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Even if we don’t have free test kits in the UK, I wish more people would have the common courtesy not to spread their germs around unnecessarily when they are unwell with Covid, coughs, colds, flu etc.  

I think people should stay home *as far as possible* with these ailments to stop spreading them around unnecessarily.  If they do have go on public transport/into work/shopping etc they should be considerate of others by as an absolute bare minimum using a tissue and sanitising their hands.  I am sick of people snivelling on buses and wiping their germy  hands everywhere.  

I think for the greater good, if you feel sniffly then you should get paid full wages for the time you are off

If that happens I am happy to take the next 6 months off on full pay

I think the reason many people don't take days off when they are ill is due to not getting paid, hence going into debt

Sort the issue of pay out and I reckon the majority will be more than happy to take the next few months off, especially on a cold winters morning when the alarm clock goes off at 5am

3 hours ago, pfifes said:

Even if we don’t have free test kits in the UK, I wish more people would have the common courtesy not to spread their germs around unnecessarily when they are unwell with Covid, coughs, colds, flu etc.  

I think people should stay home *as far as possible* with these ailments to stop spreading them around unnecessarily.  If they do have go on public transport/into work/shopping etc they should be considerate of others by as an absolute bare minimum using a tissue and sanitising their hands.  I am sick of people snivelling on buses and wiping their germy  hands everywhere.  

Meanwhile we have academies insisting that student/pupils must attend even when unwell with potentially infectious diseases.
Not just Covid related of course, it will apply to Norovirus etc, which is spread through direct contact, and a whole range of other nasties. 
I came across this Twitter thread earlier; I'm not sure how many specific establishments the United Learning Group run, but quite a few by the looks from their website

I don't know the groups policies on clean air/CO2 monitoring re. Covid etc.
Helpfully unrolled here via Threadreader, which shows copies of the letter to parents
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1840040564105867522.html

Schools from the United Learning group are forcing parents & pupils to sign an Attendance contract with their local school.
The terms include the commitment that kids will attend school "even if you feel unwell".

The United letter expects all families to sign up to the "Attendance Pledge". In return, "we will ensure your child has access to quality first teaching".
The parents I've spoken to are angry, and many are refusing to sign.

The pledge requires parents to send children into school even if sick ("we have first aiders and we can give students a break in lesson").
It's unclear if parents will be sanctioned for refusing to participate in the contract.
The approach has been denounced as "heavy-handed & bullying". And after just a few weeks of school, Y7 parents are already headed for revolt. 

Further discussion here for those interested, though I can't say this is a forum I follow
https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/secondary/5176436-what-if-parents-refuse-to-sign-contracts-or-pledges-to-support-certain-school-policies-united-learning-wants-kids-to-attend-even-when-unwell

3 hours ago, rogets said:

I think for the greater good, if you feel sniffly then you should get paid full wages for the time you are off

If that happens I am happy to take the next 6 months off on full pay

I think the reason many people don't take days off when they are ill is due to not getting paid, hence going into debt

Sort the issue of pay out and I reckon the majority will be more than happy to take the next few months off, especially on a cold winters morning when the alarm clock goes off at 5am

And there my friend lies the problem.  

If someone can take 6 months on full pay for a sniffle please do tell where!

If I go into a public facing business and am presented with an employee snivelling, sneezing and coughing because their employer won’t tolerate a short sickness absence and/or has a culture of presenteeism I can tell you now, that I won’t be impressed and might take my business elsewhere if I can. 

And my friend, there will always. always, always be a few bad apples that take advantage in employment.  Always, no matter how good and generous it is.  You know what though, if you treat people well in employment , then you get far, far less of that.  It’s a two way exchange and you reap what you sow both ways.  

1 hour ago, redruby said:

And there my friend lies the problem.  

If someone can take 6 months on full pay for a sniffle please do tell where!

That is the problem, people won't be given full pay for time off work

If people get 100% salary, I bet you any money more people will be willing to take the next 6 months off

Pay the workers to not work except supermarket workers and the pub staff, then that stops the spread

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rogets said:

That is the problem, people won't be given full pay for time off work

If people get 100% salary, I bet you any money more people will be willing to take the next 6 months off

Pay the workers to not work except supermarket workers and the pub staff, then that stops the spread

If someone has good job with a good employer, are paid enough to live on and are generally happy at work it’s incredibly unlikely they will just decide to rock up at the doctor’s surgery and feign an illness so they can get signed off for 6 months in full pay.  
On the other hand, many people go to work with contagious illnesses and spread them around to their colleagues and customers due to presenteeism.  

• Like 1