Future pandemic as big as Covid is inevitable, says Prof. Whitty

Just now, RollingJ said:

Sensible? I'm not convinced -think it may derail this previously polite exchange of views.

Its been a decent thread so far. It would be a pity if that happened. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

What this thread really needs is the Hillsborough TV aerial man back. 

Yes. I've not heard a good Swimming Gala story in a while😁. I do miss him you know. He was a lot of fun at times. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Course he did. Obsessed with respiratory conditions, that bloke. 

29 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes. I believe you mentioned that once or twice 🤣

Why keep repeating the same comment, even though the disease affects far more than the respiratory system?
The original proposition for this thread was about a possible different future pandemic, but even that somehow got diverted.

I don't know how many people on here are participating in UK Biobank, I joined when it first started in Sheffield, but some of their recent data has been analysed in a US study by "Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology" 

COVID-19 Is a Coronary Artery Disease Risk Equivalent and Exhibits a Genetic Interaction With ABO Blood Type

METHODS:
Data from the UK Biobank was used to identify COVID-19 cases (n=10 005) who were positive for polymerase chain reaction (PCR+)-based tests for SARS-CoV-2 infection (n=8062) or received hospital-based International Classification of Diseases version-10 (ICD-10) codes for COVID-19 (n=1943) between February 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.

Clearly that, as a peer reviewed medical journal is a bit beyond most of us, certainly me, but this is a CNN report based on the research paper; 
Covid-19 may increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes and deaths for three years after an infection, study suggests

Covid-19 could be a powerful risk factor for heart attacks and strokes for as long as three years after an infection, a large new study suggests.

The study was published Wednesday in the medical journal Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. It relied on medical records from roughly a quarter of a million people who were enrolled in a large database called the UK Biobank.

Then of course there's been the more recent studies linking  Covid to Parkinsons, but most of the stuff I've seen it far to complex for non medics like me to understand.

COVID-19 related neurological manifestations in Parkinson’s disease: has ferroptosis been a suspect?   Nature 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Why keep repeating the same comment, even though the disease affects far more than the respiratory system?
The original proposition for this thread was about a possible different future pandemic, but even that somehow got diverted.

I don't know how many people on here are participating in UK Biobank, I joined when it first started in Sheffield, but some of their recent data has been analysed in a US study by "Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology" 

COVID-19 Is a Coronary Artery Disease Risk Equivalent and Exhibits a Genetic Interaction With ABO Blood Type

METHODS:
Data from the UK Biobank was used to identify COVID-19 cases (n=10 005) who were positive for polymerase chain reaction (PCR+)-based tests for SARS-CoV-2 infection (n=8062) or received hospital-based International Classification of Diseases version-10 (ICD-10) codes for COVID-19 (n=1943) between February 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.

Clearly that, as a peer reviewed medical journal is a bit beyond most of us, certainly me, but this is a CNN report based on the research paper; 
Covid-19 may increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes and deaths for three years after an infection, study suggests

Covid-19 could be a powerful risk factor for heart attacks and strokes for as long as three years after an infection, a large new study suggests.

The study was published Wednesday in the medical journal Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. It relied on medical records from roughly a quarter of a million people who were enrolled in a large database called the UK Biobank.

Then of course there's been the more recent studies linking  Covid to Parkinsons, but most of the stuff I've seen it far to complex for non medics like me to understand.

COVID-19 related neurological manifestations in Parkinson’s disease: has ferroptosis been a suspect?   Nature 

Not too sure why you quoted me but never mind.

Not trying to speak for @HeHasRisen as he's more than capable of talking for himself but at a guess I'd say it's just banter.

At least that's how I see it.

17 minutes ago, peak4 said:

METHODS:

What’s all that about? 

5 hours ago, peak4 said:

METHODS:

Thank you for this. Very interesting.

The original thread was indeed about a possible future pandemic.  That is why a started a new one about Trump, Putin and the Covid tests but it got moved and lumped in with this one.  As did others I believe.  This thread now appears to be a general ‘all things Covid’ thread instead 🙄

7 hours ago, peak4 said:

METHODS:

You like your respiratory diseases too, huh?