Future pandemic as big as Covid is inevitable, says Prof. Whitty

Just now, The_DADDY said:

And remember when the lab leak theory was called a conspiracy theory and even racist by some?

I thought it went too far when they stopped naming variants after their country of origin.  It seemed to coincide with the ‘Indian Variant’.  

Just now, RollingJ said:

Can you name the 'some' - it is blatantly obvious to a blind man where the leak happened.

I should have been clearer.  No one on here said that.

When Trump was in office he was called racist for saying it came from a Chinese lab. Commentators here and abroad agreed with that. I can't remember who though. 

Just now, The_DADDY said:

I should have been clearer.  No one on here said that.

When Trump was in office he was called racist for saying it came from a Chinese lab. Commentators here and abroad agreed with that. I can't remember who though. 

Fair enough - and for the one and only time in his sad life, Trump was correct.

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Define covid denier. Is it

A. Someone who says covid does not exist?

Or

B. Someone who said the reaction was the scam?

Or

C. Both? 

There is spectrum of Covid Deniers from those who those who believed that the virus didn’t exist and the pandemic had been fabricated, to Covid Sceptics and Anti Lockdowners who thought that the numbers were exaggerated or that the government had an ulterior motive for restricting freedoms.  All are forms of Covid Conspiracy Theories.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’d say that the people who are trying to discredit these accurate labels are the ones who are trying to shut down debate.

There is no doubt at all that there is  a small, but vocal band of covid deniers and anti vaxxers. They would like us all to believe that their views are valid and commonplace. They are neither of those things.

Use of the term "covid" on SF.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search/?&q=covid&type=forums_topic&page=2&nodes=6&search_and_or=or

1 minute ago, pfifes said:

There is spectrum of Covid Deniers from those who those who believed that the virus didn’t exist and the pandemic had been fabricated, to Covid Sceptics and Anti Lockdowners who thought that the numbers were exaggerated or that the government had an ulterior motive for restricting freedoms.  All are forms of Covid Conspiracy Theories.  

What you call 'covid sceptics' I call 'government and media sceptics'.

And as far as I'm concerned they were right 👍

If that makes me a conspiracy theorist in your eyes then so be it. 

48 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

There may well be more Viruses ,it's inevitable . We may even have another pandemic . Here's hoping we have learnt lessons from the last time & not listen to everything we are told & read . 

I hope so but I fear many people have been sceptical and mistrustful of the Government following Covid.