Future pandemic as big as Covid is inevitable, says Prof. Whitty

51 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I thankyou Longcol . But it was something I felt was right . I was out of my comfort zone , but I have a thirst for knowledge which helped . But nothing shocked me as much as seeing an XRay of someone with very bad Covid . Their lungs were a complete white out , when that happened , they were suffocating . Once the machine was switched off , that was ,it , no lingering , they were gone . I cannot watch programs about it now , it makes me cry 

I also appreciate your efforts, lavery. Thank you for doing what you did.

Also, don’t forget the damage that Covid does to other internal organs. It’s not always immediately apparent, or fatal, but it does impact severely on people’s health.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

I thought it went too far when they stopped naming variants after their country of origin.  It seemed to coincide with the ‘Indian Variant’.  

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I should have been clearer.  No one on here said that.

When Trump was in office he was called racist for saying it came from a Chinese lab. Commentators here and abroad agreed with that. I can't remember who though. 

I would suggest that Trump was called racist because he continually referred to it as The China Virus, despite repeated requests to desist, rather than just for suggesting it may have come from a Chinese lab, which was a perfectly valid theory being explored at the time.

Trump's 'Chinese Virus' tweet helped lead to rise in racist anti-Asian Twitter content: Study  ABC News.

A new study suggests that former President Donald Trump's inflammatory rhetoric around the coronavirus, which is believed to have originated in China, helped spark anti-Asian Twitter content and "likely perpetuated racist attitudes."

The Asian American community has experienced a striking rise in incidents of hate since the onset of COVID-19, according to officials and advocates, and critics say the former president's repeated use of "China Virus" and other terms helped fuel an environment of hatred.

Yes even in Sheffield

Chinese student attacked in Sheffield over coronavirus The Star

Life returns to normal for Sheffield’s Chinese students after attacks  South China Morning post 

String of assaults which left nine students injured raised fears on campus of growing racism but anxieties are easing  

Coronavirus: Hate crimes against Chinese people soar in UK during COVID-19 crisis  Sky News
More than 260 offences against Chinese people are recorded in the first three months of 2020. 

The WHO has had practices in place for many years predating Coronavirus, for very good reason
WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases ;8 May 2015 

WHO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.

• Like 3

People in the USA can again order four covid tests per household. The move comes ahead of an expected winter coronavirus wave:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/09/26/free-covid-test-mail/

The XEC variant is spreading rapidly through Europe.  Current vaccines are still effective against though:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2448924-what-to-know-about-the-new-covid-19-xec-variant/

There is also research showing the virus can age the brain 20 years:

https://scitechdaily.com/severe-covid-19-ages-your-brain-20-years-new-study-reveals/

Even if we don’t have free test kits in the UK, I wish more people would have the common courtesy not to spread their germs around unnecessarily when they are unwell with Covid, coughs, colds, flu etc.  

I think people should stay home *as far as possible* with these ailments to stop spreading them around unnecessarily.  If they do have go on public transport/into work/shopping etc they should be considerate of others by as an absolute bare minimum using a tissue and sanitising their hands.  I am sick of people snivelling on buses and wiping their germy  hands everywhere.