Henderson’s Worcestershire Sauce

8 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

I believe it is to the same recipe.

The reasoning for the name change was simply that people didn’t understand what it was overseas so distributors and stores asked them to change the name… apparently just doing so has significantly increased sales. 😬

Still Relish here though.

Fair enough, @SheffieldForum, must admit I was unaware of this until the topic was started.

Checks date, no it’s not April 1st. For one thing Worcester sauce ain’t either veggie or vegan as it contains anchovies, so I don’t get where trying to pretend it is Worcester sauce gets them.
I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Checks date, no it’s not April 1st. For one thing Worcester sauce ain’t either veggie or vegan as it contains anchovies, so I don’t get where trying to pretend it is Worcester sauce gets them.
I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

I think it's because many people outside Sheffield, who apparently don't have taste buds, think it is Worcestershire sauce already.

The fact it doesn't have the same stuff in or tastes completely different doesn't stop them. I went off Anthony Worrel Thompson cos he said it was Sheffield's version of W sauce on ready stead cook.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

I think it's because many people outside Sheffield, who apparently don't have taste buds, think it is Worcestershire sauce already.

The fact it doesn't have the same stuff in or tastes completely different doesn't stop them. I went off Anthony Worrel Thompson cos he said it was Sheffield's version of W sauce on ready stead cook.

Fair comments there crisispoint, but that only makes it more important to highlight the differences, not dilute them, doesn’t it?

I think some hot shot marketing whizz kid or some such has been used here to try and promote Hendos.

My own humble opinion for what it’s worth is that it’s backfired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YorkieontheTyne said:

Fair comments there crisispoint, but that only makes it more important to highlight the differences, not dilute them, doesn’t it?

I think some hot shot marketing whizz kid or some such has been used here to try and promote Hendos.

My own humble opinion for what it’s worth is that it’s backfired.

I tend to agree, not sure it's back fired though, it's being talked about nationally now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

I tend to agree, not sure it's back fired though, it's being talked about nationally now

For sure it is, but in these days of veggieism and veganism wouldn’t it be better to promote those values rather than disguise em? 
It’d do the veggies and vegans a favour as well by bringing some flavour into what can be a bland tasteless world.

• Thanks 1