Henderson’s Worcestershire Sauce

5 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Not sure that's correct. I read that they removed anchovies from the recipe so that it could be marketed as 'vegan'.  Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong...

But personally I've gone off Henderson's. To me it's now just a watery pepper sauce. I much prefer L&P, or even Tesco's own brand 'Worcester' sauce. 

I shall now mostly be hiding behind the sofa....

Is there any room for me ?  

Official response from Henderson’s:

“Over the last few years we have started exporting and we create bespoke labels for individual countries. We learned that in countries such as the USA customers don't understand what Hendersons Relish is or what to do with it. The word Relish proved too confusing for them to understand and without changing it we would not have been able to do any business there. So, in a few countries only we reference Worcester or Worcestershire Sauce on the label.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Official response from Henderson’s:

“Over the last few years we have started exporting and we create bespoke labels for individual countries. We learned that in countries such as the USA customers don't understand what Hendersons Relish is or what to do with it. The word Relish proved too confusing for them to understand and without changing it we would not have been able to do any business there. So, in a few countries only we reference Worcester or Worcestershire Sauce on the label.”

So, a marketing decision, which I totally understand - although Hendersons is nowt like Worcestershire Sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I remember the first time I tried Henderson’s relish on meat and potato pie, it ruined the taste of the pie for me.

I wanted to taste the pie and the lovely crust not a vinegar, spicy acetic tasting sauce. I definitely don’t like it.  I don’t think you can buy it here Newcastle, although I haven’t looked on the supermarket shelves for it.  

You’ll certainly find it in Morissons and B&M bargains here in South Shields hauxwell, that’s IF you want to look for it!

At last I have found a good use for Henderson's.

When 'HP sauce' became The Great Foreign Sauce the recipe was changed to a gloopy, tasteless splodge, I stopped buying it.

When on a recent long ferry crossing, breakfast in the canteen was accompanied with a choice of sauces. To get the gloopy HP 'foreign' sauce out of the bottle I added  some Worcestershire sauce to make it runnier. Not bad, When I got home I used a few drops of Henderson's  instead. Brilliant! 

Next thing was to test my 'H(P)endo' or 'HendoP 'with a Percy Turner pork pie. WOW!

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

At last I have found a good use for Henderson's.

When 'HP sauce' became The Great Foreign Sauce the recipe was changed to a gloopy, tasteless splodge, I stopped buying it.

When on a recent long ferry crossing, breakfast in the canteen was accompanied with a choice of sauces. To get the gloopy HP 'foreign' sauce out of the bottle I added  some Worcestershire sauce to make it runnier. Not bad, When I got home I used a few drops of Henderson's  instead. Brilliant! 

Next thing was to test my 'H(P)endo' or 'HendoP 'with a Percy Turner pork pie. WOW!

Not a Sheffield thing, per se, but if you're after a good Brown Sauce, the Sauce Shop ones are beautiful:

https://www.sauceshop.co/products/brown-sauce

• Like 2