Mushrooms

43 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Does anyone go picking mushrooms see plenty but not sure what's edible? And yes I know what magic mushrooms are!

Yes.

But it takes a lot of learning to be sure that you are picking the right things. It’s not the sort of thing to do halfheartedly.

• Like 3

Never use one source of identification always go through a second ID process when you get your finds home. If you're new to this type of foraging also try one kind at a time, at least then if anything does go wrong it gives your medical team a clue.

Fungi of Britain and book of mushrooms are both very good apps also Google lens is useful, but a printed book at home is probably a good idea.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Does anyone go picking mushrooms see plenty but not sure what's edible? And yes I know what magic mushrooms are!

Yes, when I can. Along time ago we were shown three varieties of field mushrooms that were safe to pick as they are distinctive from any potentially harmful ones. We were also told not to go into the woods, gardens, verges, parks or golf courses or show anybody else what to pick. Of the ones I pick two are seasonal and one appears randomly. They are not that nice.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

Never use one source of identification always go through a second ID process when you get your finds home. If you're new to this type of foraging also try one kind at a time, at least then if anything does go wrong it gives your medical team a clue.

Fungi of Britain and book of mushrooms are both very good apps also Google lens is useful, but a printed book at home is probably a good idea.

Roger Philips’ book is excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Roger-Phillips/dp/0330442376

Edited by Prettytom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why you pick them then?

My favourites are blue stalks, blewits, they are fairly easy to recognise and around this time of year they also tend to survive the frost.

Puff balls are a bit more problematic earth balls are poisonous, but common ones edible.

Always always check ID, shaggy ink caps are good too, coprinus comatus. But can be mistaken for common and they don't go well with alcohol.

24 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

Not sure why you pick them then?

My favourites are blue stalks, blewits, they are fairly easy to recognise and around this time of year they also tend to survive the frost.

Puff balls are a bit more problematic earth balls are poisonous, but common ones edible.

Always always check ID, shaggy ink caps are good too, coprinus comatus. But can be mistaken for common and they don't go well with alcohol.

Bluestalks for me too, but there is a possible confusion with some cortinarius varieties.

Also giant puffballs, cep, parasols and hedgehog mushrooms. I’m just cooking some hedgehogs right now for my tea.