Mushrooms

Beware with on-line identification; The British Mycological Soc, has issuing warnings about some AI based ID site, which give very wrong answers.
Lots of stuff coming up as we get into autumn, though most of these are about study, and interest, rather than foraging.
You could pop out to Potteric Carr  in a couple of weeks time
https://www.ywt.org.uk/events/2024-10-12-fungi-fest-guided-walks

There's a whole bunch of events on the 5th Oct for UK Fungus Day, including a Sorby one at Shirebrook

https://www.ukfungusday.co.uk/whatson

A day of free web based BMS Seminars on the 6th
Fungi around the World
A full day online webinar celebrating UK Fungus Day, split into 3 sessions. Book for one or all 3!

14 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Yes, you are right. He’s another one.

Thought that you might have been too, with your Eastern European connections.

Not me personally but I have a very special visitor who is an expert on the old fauna and fungi. 

I am in awe of their knowledge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spilldig said:

No,  because I don't like them but if ever you stay in a hotel you nearly always get them served for breakfast.  What I want to know is who decided they were part of a full English breakfast ?

The English?

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2024 at 03:01, Al Bundy said:

@Norbert is your poster for this subject I believe 

Hope you don't mind me saying, but to get a working tag/link (for me on Win 11 at least)

I would type in @Norbert which would bring up a little menu with Norbert (and maybe others) I would click on the name and it would add a working tag. The first couple of times I tried to add a tag I got it wrong too. Possibly that tag menu doesn't always pop up in good time? 👍

• Like 1

Check out the books by local author Patrick Harding, they have a heavy emphasis on what is edible, what to avoid and what might fool you.

https://www.patrickharding.co.uk/patricks-books

I was lucky enough to study and foray with him. The biggest lifesaving tip in my opinion is don't eat any mushroom with white gills unless you are an expert.

I've nearly been fooled by the Yellow Stainer which looks very similar to Field and Horse Mushrooms and can grow near each other. For that reason I avoid Field Mushrooms, and go mostly for unmistakable classics like Penny Buns and other boletes like Bay and Birch, and also Chicken of the Woods, which really does taste like chicken (I imagine), shaggy ink caps, and a few distinctive others.

After the cold snap of the last few nights I can confirm that the magic ones are starting to appear too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Norbert said:

Check out the books by local author Patrick Harding, they have a heavy emphasis on what is edible, what to avoid and what might fool you.

https://www.patrickharding.co.uk/patricks-books

I was lucky enough to study and foray with him. The biggest lifesaving tip in my opinion is don't eat any mushroom with white gills unless you are an expert.

I've nearly been fooled by the Yellow Stainer which looks very similar to Field and Horse Mushrooms and can grow near each other. For that reason I avoid Field Mushrooms, and go mostly for unmistakable classics like Penny Buns and other boletes like Bay and Birch, and also Chicken of the Woods, which really does taste like chicken (I imagine), shaggy ink caps, and a few distinctive others.

After the cold snap of the last few nights I can confirm that the magic ones are starting to appear too.

All good advice.

I also never  pick field mushrooms, because the risk of misidentification is too high in my opinion. Plus, they are easy to identify in Sainsbury’s.

I’ve got a drier full of slightly overgrown cep at the moment and I’m off to  hopefully liberate another load of hedgehogs  tomorrow. My chanterelle patch has been barren this year.

I’ve never eaten chicken of the woods, mostly because when I find it, it is either too high to reach, or at perfect dog ******* height.

18 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

All good advice.

I also never  pick field mushrooms, because the risk of misidentification is too high in my opinion. Plus, they are easy to identify in Sainsbury’s.

I’ve got a drier full of slightly overgrown cep at the moment and I’m off to  hopefully liberate another load of hedgehogs  tomorrow. My chanterelle patch has been barren this year.

I’ve never eaten chicken of the woods, mostly because when I find it, it is either too high to reach, or at perfect dog ******* height.

I wonder if your chanterelle patch is the same as my chanterelle patch, probably why it's barren most years 🙄

I can't go for the Ceps this year as they grow on a steep slope and I've hurt my knee. Wish I knew of a hedgehog patch.

I've only ever seen one other person doing my magic patches though.