Mushrooms

On 28/09/2024 at 15:45, crisispoint said:

The English?

well I don't know. I mean a full English for years and years was toast and marmalade,  fried eggs ,  beans and/or tomatoes and sausage.  Mushrooms and hash browns, not to mention liver for breakfast was unheard of.  I did notice that hash browns were the first to appear around the time we joined the common market and some hotels went the cheaper version of continental breakfasts.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spilldig said:

well I don't know. I mean a full English for years and years was toast and marmalade,  fried eggs ,  beans and/or tomatoes and sausage.  Mushrooms and hash browns, not to mention liver for breakfast was unheard of.  I did notice that hash browns were the first to appear around the time we joined the common market and some hotels went the cheaper version of continental breakfasts.

I'm not a fan of hash browns on a breakfast, but on a bacon or sausage sandwich, I love them

There is nothing traditional about a 'full English'. 

Historically invented by the Victorian upper classes who moved eating times to later in the day and therefore needed a more substantial meal in the morning. The upper class Victorian breakfast was far more substantial than a 'full English'. As with the times the Middle Class aspired to the same, with a cut down version. The Working Classes had to wait for works canteens and the Americans before they saw baked beans, hash browns and tinned tomatoes. Even then it only became known as a 'fried breakfast'. After the war rationing prevented 'full English', but improvements in technology and distribution enabled more ingredients to be imported, made and stored.

The history of 'baked beans' in the UK is at the centre to the 'full English' story. The Americans showed us how to make them, to ship the beans here, to cook them, to tin them and build the massive factory in Wigan to make them affordable and more importantly what to do with them.  The popularity of post war 'bed, breakfast and evening meal' holidays, required a substantial breakfast before being chucked out at ten. Later the 'full English' became a marketing tool for food and hospitality businesses especially in Spain etc. where self catering became the norm. Of course using our very own British Baked Beans, Italian tinned tomatoes and Dutch tinned

mushrooms.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Historically invented by the Victorian upper classes who moved eating times to later in the day and therefore needed a more substantial meal in the morning. The upper class Victorian breakfast was far more substantial than a 'full English'. As with the times the Middle Class aspired to the same, with a cut down version. The Working Classes had to wait for works canteens and the Americans before they saw baked beans, hash browns and tinned tomatoes. Even then it only became known as a 'fried breakfast'. After the war rationing prevented 'full English', but improvements in technology and distribution enabled more ingredients to be imported, made and stored.

The history of 'baked beans' in the UK is at the centre to the 'full English' story. The Americans showed us how to make them, to ship the beans here, to cook them, to tin them and build the massive factory in Wigan to make them affordable and more importantly what to do with them.  The popularity of post war 'bed, breakfast and evening meal' holidays, required a substantial breakfast before being chucked out at ten. Later the 'full English' became a marketing tool for food and hospitality businesses especially in Spain etc. where self catering became the norm. Of course using our very own British Baked Beans, Italian tinned tomatoes and Dutch tinned

mushrooms.

Loved that, ta

46 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

mushrooms.

That's the problem with this good old patriot englishness, they only go back as far as the Victorian times, when most of it came about, they don't care about the rest of the history

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2024 at 10:40, melthebell said:

That's the problem with this good old patriot englishness, they only go back as far as the Victorian times, when most of it came about, they don't care about the rest of the history

This prompted me to wonder what the pre-Victorian English breakfast consisted of.  This apparently:

“The tradition of breakfast dates back to the Middle Ages. At this time, there were usually only two meals a day; breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was served mid or late morning, and usually consisted of just ale and bread, with perhaps some cheese, cold meat or dripping.”

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pfifes said:

This prompted me to wonder what the pre-Victorian English breakfast consisted of.  This apparently:

“The tradition of breakfast dates back to the Middle Ages. At this time, there were usually only two meals a day; breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was served mid or late morning, and usually consisted of just ale and bread, with perhaps some cheese, cold meat or dripping.”

Bit early for the population to be starting on the ale... :lol:

• Haha 1