Extortion of the elderly

31 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Reading some of this stuff, I'm getting to the point of thinking that if / when I get to such an aged state and run out of means to make my own provisions for care.....I'm off on a trip to  Switzerland. 

I certainly wouldn't feel it rewarding nor quality time to be placing such burdens on on my family members. 

Which is why I think Euthanasia should be a personal choice. 

48 minutes ago, Tony said:

You could always look after your mum and dad yourself.

Actually, I already do. 

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Reading some of this stuff, I'm getting to the point of thinking that if / when I get to such an aged state and run out of means to make my own provisions for care.....I'm off on a trip to  Switzerland. 

I certainly wouldn't feel it rewarding nor quality time to be placing such burdens on on my family members. 

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

Actually, I already do. 

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

Actually, I already do. 

I'm from Yorkshire! I have always appreciated value for money, and refuse to be ripped off.

IMO Care homes charge too much for too little. I speak from 20+ years experience.  Sure there are some good ones too, but none are worth that much. I've worked too bloody hard for my money to see it wasted.

When I am incapable of looking after myself I want my fortune, such as it is, to go to my children, not to a care home.

I want agency over my own life  -and death.

I believe that should be my right.

Nobody lives for ever. Our way of leaving it should be in our control.

I am assuming that by that stage I will be very old, very ill, and have no real quality of life, so what is the point of prolonging my life at great expense, and watching my money drain away into a black hole. I don't believe in staying too long at the party, no use to anyone, just a burden to all. The last thing I could do for my beloved children is to die for them, quickly and honourably, with no fuss. 

But these days I may not have any choice in the matter. If I have to go into hospital, they may well be able to prolong my existence whether I want them to or not, and then decide  that I am not fit enough to go back to my own home, and refuse to discharge me except into a care home.

It happens.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

But these days I may not have any choice in the matter. If I have to go into hospital, they may well be able to prolong my existence whether I want them to or not, and then decide  that I am not fit enough to go back to my own home, and refuse to discharge me except into a care home.

Grandad is very frail and they still send him home, then back into hospital, then back home, they need those hospital beds.