Extortion of the elderly

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I wish!!

Me too.

I don't think people realise how much pensions vary between people. I, for instance, am on the old rate (for life) which is considerably lesss than the new rate, but I don't qualify for pension credit as I have a small works pension, (which was taken from my salary.) I also have a number of medical expenses no longer covered by the NHS.

It costs a lot of money to get old, I don't know any rich pensioners. 

9 hours ago, pfifes said:

The comment about ‘stay at home housewives living off the income of their partners’ is another sexist comment.  Married women of that generation were expected to be housewives!  Stay and home and look after the children and cook and clean.  I suppose that means this wasn’t work, is worthless and they don’t deserve care in old age if needed.

Nothing sexist about it.  Some women were staying at home to be housewives thus  living off the income of their male husbands.

If they were not direct earning their own  income they were not directly paying into the system were they.  

It's a factual statement not any derogatory comment about the 'value' of their domestic work.   We are talking about contributions to the public purse here which is obviously through taxation.  

Get off your high horse.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Nothing sexist about it.  Some women were staying at home to be housewives thus  living off the income of their male husbands.

If they were not direct earning their own  income they were not directly paying into the system were they.  

It's a factual statement not any derogatory comment about the 'value' of their domestic work.   We are talking about contributions to the public purse here which is obviously through taxation.  

Get off your high horse.  

A housewife that stayed at home looking after her children was contributing though,  Not directly through taxes.  But indirectly by raising the next generation.   
You ARE devaluing the work of a housewife as worthless  due to it not being formal, paid employment.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pfifes said:

A housewife that stayed at home looking after her children was contributing though,  Not directly through taxes.  But indirectly by raising the next generation.   
You ARE devaluing the work of a housewife as worthless  due to it not being formal, paid employment.  

They do a good job,  Ecco Noob is being factual.

• Like 1

Just now, pfifes said:

If it doesn't directly contribute to the public pursue through tax revenue it is worthless as far as the specific points of this specific topic concerned. 

Read the thread and understand the basic concept of what was being discussed.

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

If it doesn't directly contribute to the public pursue through tax revenue it is worthless as far as the specific points of this specific topic concerned. 

Read the thread and understand the basic concept of what was being discussed.

The point is that you listed categories of people that haven’t contributed in taxation in such a way as to suggest they are unworthy of receiving care in old age.  Of course I know what you mean in a literal sense.

3 minutes ago, pfifes said:

The point is that you listed categories of people that haven’t contributed in taxation in such a way as to suggest they are unworthy of receiving care in old age.  Of course I know what you mean in a literal sense.

I "suggested" no such thing.  I was simply dismissing the blanket comment from AnnaB that ....people have paid their taxes into the system all their lives.    Well no.  FACTUALLY some have not.   As I provided examples of.

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I "suggested" no such thing.  I was simply dismissing the blanket comment from AnnaB that ....people have paid their taxes into the system all their lives.    Well no.  FACTUALLY some have not.   As I provided examples of.

Then I’d politely suggest refraining from using phrases like ‘living off their partner’ to something along the lines of ‘being financially supported by their partner’.  Hopefully I don’t need to explain the difference.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Me too.

I don't think people realise how much pensions vary between people. I, for instance, am on the old rate (for life) which is considerably lesss than the new rate, but I don't qualify for pension credit as I have a small works pension, (which was taken from my salary.) I also have a number of medical expenses no longer covered by the NHS.

It costs a lot of money to get old, I don't know any rich pensioners. 

Did your employer also make contributions to the pension scheme - I thought that was mandatory?

https://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/en/employers/managing-a-scheme/contributions-and-funding