Extortion of the elderly

On 02/10/2024 at 22:56, Longcol said:

Ditto until I moved to the Voluntary Sector and then a personal pension was the only option available - but that worked out pretty well anyway.

At one time men didn't 'allow' their wives to work as they felt it reflected on their ability to earn.  Women's jobs were restricted to minor roles and part time jobs paying 'pin money.' And they weren't allowed to take out works pensions. None of this was up for discussion, women didn't have a choice. How times change.

Maybe men whose wives 'are living off them' should be paying them the going rate  for cooking, cleaning, and child care services. 

-Then we'd see what their work was worth.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

At one time men didn't 'allow' their wives to work as they felt it reflected on their ability to earn.  Women's jobs were restricted to minor roles and part time jobs paying 'pin money.' And they weren't allowed to take out works pensions. None of this was up for discussion, women didn't have a choice. How times change.

Maybe men whose wives 'are living off them' should be paying them the going rate  for cooking, cleaning, and child care services. 

-Then we'd see what their work was worth.....

What on earth is that to do with employers contributions to pension schemes?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

What on earth is that to do with employers contributions to pension schemes?

You would need to read back through the thread for the context of this.  It all related to a statement made by someone that certain elderly people that not paid sufficient taxes over their lifetime to pay for care.  One of the categories mentioned were, I quote “plenty of stay-at-home housewives living off  income from their partner”.  I thought this was a very sexist thing to say.  Of course I understand that they weren’t paying tax or for pension schemes via an employer.  But as Anna B explains, the option to do this really wasn’t there for most married women.  Society expected them to be a housewife.  And bring a housewife, apart from the very well off who could afford to pay for cleaners and nannies etc, was work!!  

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I would absolutely love to be a house husband.

Love cooking, cleaning, shopping, I mean it's not exactly that hard is it, then crashing on the sofa watching crap, meeting mates for coffee....

Lovely jubbly.

I know of one gentleman whose wife earned more than him and took the decision to be a ‘house husband’ and look after their two small children whilst his wife went out to work full time. Any ideas that this was a cushy number were soon dispelled…

15 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I know of one gentleman whose wife earned more than him and took the decision to be a ‘house husband’ and look after their two small children whilst his wife went out to work full time. Any ideas that this was a cushy number were soon dispelled…

Lucky man.