Extortion of the elderly

24 minutes ago, cressida said:

Can you transfer ownership of your home to your children?

You can but you're still likely to end up paying as it's against the law to try and hide assets. 

26 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Tory reality was very different. 

Planned in 2021 the Tory plans were delayed by the Tory leaders by FIVE years to avoid a future election as it was such a disastrous Policy for their core voters. 

14 years of Conservative rule and six election manifesto all promises broken.

Tory plan after plan abandoned and never introduced as they would have hit their voters hardest. The theme for all their promises was that the full amount of care would be paid for if House +Assets was greater than £100 000 then patient pays all. As most over 65+ own their home with an average value of £400 000.  Tory voters did the maths and told their MP's "NO"

So instead the Tories make those least able to pay, pay more. Have we forgotten  the Council Tax rises to pay for care?

One day you'll take those red tinted glasses off and see the truth. 

I don't hold my breath that it will be anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

You can but you're still likely to end up paying as it's against the law to try and hide assets. 

One day you'll take those red tinted glasses off and see the truth. 

I don't hold my breath that it will be anytime soon. 

If your child is a resident and stays a 'main' resident for seven years after you death, under the current law no 'inheritance tax' is due

I avoid using the word 'truth' as people seem to create their own. Meanwhile having waited TEN YEARS and SIX abandoned TORY manifesto promises and THREE YEARS of Tory delaying tactics surely it is worth spending a few months spent in bringing together the Treasury, Local Councils, NHS and a multitude of Health and Care providers to get it right.

Who knows Labour might COPY the Tory 2025 Plan to make home owners pay £100 000 more for their care,

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, geared said:

Care workers are some of the lowest paid in the health profession.  Care home residents pay a fortune.

Somebody must be able to square this circle, I can't fathom it?

It's not so difficult. It's the difference between what do you get for your money in a care home compared to a budget hotel for the same price per night. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I've just visited a very mediocre looking care home, usual set up, residents sat dozing in the lounge, nothing going on.

Out of curiosity when I got home I looked it up on its webpage. I was shocked at some of the reviews which mention bed sores,  falls, refusing beverages, and general poor care. (To be fair there were some good reviews too)

I have a 97-year-old relative, who is not in a care home, he has been in hospital for periods and he is not quite bedbound, he has bed sores and has fallen.

Are these things normal, I have no experience of elderly care. But I do know they fall over easily and that can lead to their death.

• Like 2