Extortion of the elderly

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What are QVC care home inspection? 

It is the the Care Quality Commission (CQC) that inspect and rate residential care homes and nursing homes.

• Inspections of Care Homes are not pre arranged and can be very intensive and as there are several types of Care Homes -tailored. The team that inspected our Care Home started at 5.45 am for shift change over procedures, for getting residents up from  7 am, cleaning, changing, dressing, bringing down for breakfast, medication procedures,  record keeping, interviewing staff, residents and  relatives and the visiting GP.  Finished at 3pm The reports is structured in a similar to OfSTED and easy to digest.
  • When a complaint is made, you are required to make a written  or a recorded statement. A 'clarification' interview can be added, but no change to the original complaint is made. You are not required to prove anything or identify anybody. A log is kept of all complaints.

Two more examples of situations where it is difficult to see the resemblance with reality.

The reality is care homes can charge exhorbitent fees, sometimes for very poor care. And the cost is going up rapidly with nothing to stop them. If you think £1,450 per week is acceptable that's up to you. 

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The reality is care homes can charge exhorbitent fees, sometimes for very poor care. And the cost is going up rapidly with nothing to stop them. If you think £1,450 per week is acceptable that's up to you. 

It's a business, they charge as much as they can, just like the supermarkets and energy companies.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

It's a business, they charge as much as they can, just like the supermarkets and energy companies.

Indeed, so how about the concept of care homes operated as an overall "Not for Profit" venture, maybe council run, with all profits invested back in to providing more care, rather than enriching private businesses based in off-shore tax havens.

Edited by peak4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Indeed, so how about the concept of care homes operated as an overall "Not for Profit" venture, maybe council run, with all profits invested back in to providing more care, rather than enriching private businesses based in off-shore tax havens.

What sort of massive increase in your council tax are you happily prepared to pay?

Just for example, our local Council already has a projected 17.4 million overspend deficit.  Just where are they going magically pull money out of their backside to fund a load of care homes? 

Just what sort of care do you think they will be able to provide on a shoestring budget continually at the mercy of politicians and committees always looking for cost cutting exercises and flip-flopping from one extreme to another desperately trying to appease the electorate. 

As always, private companies and corporations a bogeyman number one but just be careful what you wish for.    Maybe people might be crying when they are left with no option but their local state mandated facility run on state budget with state levels of care. No choice, no options to move if it goes wrong, no comeback or complaint if there's been ill treatment. That's it. That's what you've been provided with. That's all you get. 

There's also a little guarantee that state run automatically means cheaper or free. Look at things in the NHS. There are numerous times where I have had to pay some mandatory NHS prescription charge or service charge when actually I could have got exactly the same product cheaper from a private operator. 

If the council took over all of our care homes and run them not-for-profit, do you honestly think they'd all be free at source to everyone. For those higher rate, council taxpayers or people with assets, just how much do you think our local authorities would demand should be paid each week for care.   That sort of two-tier system is happening now. Two identical  patients in two identical rooms getting exactly the same service but one having to pay thousands a month and their neighbour getting it for free. All because one had assets and the other didn't. 

I can't imagine that system magically changing even if it was the government themselves ruining the service. They're already doing that with benefits and welfare payments as we have seen. 

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

40 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Since council run care homes are being closed down all around the country, there must be no financial advantage for the council to run them, private care homes must be cheaper.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Care Home/Nursing Home are very expensive to, so much so, providers who rely on local authority(LA) "...funded residents are unlikely to be sustainable at the current rates LAs pay. Significant reforms are needed to enable the sector to grow to meet the expected substantial increase in care needs.(Competition and Markets Authority’s (CMA’s) market study into residential and nursing care homes for older people)".

The Government response (2017)was to require Councils to divert money and increase Council Tax, and sit on and legislation that would massively increase the amount house owners would pat from 2025, this after 14 years of promising reform,

7 minutes ago, cressida said:

Can the free NHS be stopped  for non-UK citizens?

I doubt it - their governments are supposed to reimburse us for treatment they receive here, but like many things administravelly in the NHS, the system is broken, so we don't get it back.

Edited by RollingJ

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What sort of massive increase in your council tax are you happily prepared to pay?

Just for example, our local Council already has a projected 17.4 million overspend deficit.  Just where are they going magically pull money out of their backside to fund a load of care homes? 

Just what sort of care do you think they will be able to provide on a shoestring budget continually at the mercy of politicians and committees always looking for cost cutting exercises and flip-flopping from one extreme to another desperately trying to appease the electorate. 

As always, private companies and corporations a bogeyman number one but just be careful what you wish for.    Maybe people might be crying when they are left with no option but their local state mandated facility run on state budget with state levels of care. No choice, no options to move if it goes wrong, no comeback or complaint if there's been ill treatment. That's it. That's what you've been provided with. That's all you get. 

There's also a little guarantee that state run automatically means cheaper or free. Look at things in the NHS. There are numerous times where I have had to pay some mandatory NHS prescription charge or service charge when actually I could have got exactly the same product cheaper from a private operator. 

If the council took over all of our care homes and run them not-for-profit, do you honestly think they'd all be free at source to everyone. For those higher rate, council taxpayers or people with assets, just how much do you think our local authorities would demand should be paid each week for care.   That sort of two-tier system is happening now. Two identical  patients in two identical rooms getting exactly the same service but one having to pay thousands a month and their neighbour getting it for free. All because one had assets and the other didn't. 

I can't imagine that system magically changing even if it was the government themselves ruining the service. They're already doing that with benefits and welfare payments as we have seen. 

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

Hmm…so if a private company can provide a care home and make a profit, where is that profit coming from?  Could the money creating that profit be used better to help those with care needs?

I noticed earlier in this thread a comparison to hotels.  Managers of hotels will create plans to drum up business and maximise profits.  Fine of course.   Hotels are mostly for leisure and business.  In my view the business of a care home is rather different.  Not leisure. Not business.  They are for caring for elderly and disabled people unable to look after themselves.  Of course it costs money but, call me a naive idiot as you no doubt will, I find it distasteful to see that as a cash cow.