Extortion of the elderly

4 minutes ago, spilldig said:

There's profit and then there's greed.

How would you know what the difference is? Slave labour? Decrepit buildings? Withholding nutrition? Burying the dead in the garden? None of those seem to apply here.

A big number doesn't equal "greed", its just a big number. In fact, in a big company a big number might actually be a very small number.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

How would you know what the difference is? Slave labour? Decrepit buildings? Withholding nutrition? Burying the dead in the garden? None of those seem to apply here.

A big number doesn't equal "greed", its just a big number. In fact, in a big company a big number might actually be a very small number.

Very difficult to know.  I know the care home near us closed down and re-opened for housing illegal immigrants.  Can't fault the bloke one little bit for doing that if he can obviously make more money and maybe being a bit cynical but does that indicate where the governments priorities lay.

10 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Very difficult to know.  I know the care home near us closed down and re-opened for housing illegal immigrants.  Can't fault the bloke one little bit for doing that if he can obviously make more money and maybe being a bit cynical but does that indicate where the governments priorities lay.

I'd say that shows where the government's priorities lie very clearly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Where was that, I wonder what the previous CQC report showed up.

6 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Personally, I'd suggest that it's where the owners priorities lie.

How could you know?

Maybe it was similar to this example? I have a friend with a hotel. During covid the business almost collapsed and one day the government came along with a gold plated contract to house refugees / migrants / whatever.  It made less money but it was guaranteed income so the bank made the decision for him. 

Edited by Tony

29 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Personally, I'd suggest that it's where the owners priorities lie.

So it has nothing to do with the owner being offered a government contract to house illegal immigrants which was more profitable than providing care for elderly Brits who worked and paid taxes throughout their lives.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, despritdan said:

So it has nothing to do with the owner being offered a government contract to house illegal immigrants which was more profitable than providing care for elderly Brits who worked and paid taxes throughout their lives.

That's a new one.

Linking inadequate elderly care/nursing home provision  in England with "...illegal immigrants..."! 

Most elderly care/nursing home design would be unsuitable for   "...illegal immigrants...".

As nearly all elderly care/nursing home is provided by the private sector and paid for by the individual, it is nothing to do  "...Brits who worked and paid taxes throughout their lives." The state only helps out with a minority that have complex medical needs and some financial support from their Council. 

Trying to add the Care Home crisis to the long list crisis of evils caused by "...illegal immigrants..." is stretching it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That's a new one.

Linking inadequate elderly care/nursing home provision  in England with "...illegal immigrants..."! 

Most elderly care/nursing home design would be unsuitable for   "...illegal immigrants...".

As nearly all elderly care/nursing home is provided by the private sector and paid for by the individual, it is nothing to do  "...Brits who worked and paid taxes throughout their lives." The state only helps out with a minority that have complex medical needs and some financial support from their Council. 

Trying to add the Care Home crisis to the long list crisis of evils caused by "...illegal immigrants..." is stretching it.

I was referring to the specific case mentioned by spilldig a few posts back.

Care homes and care workers should be part of the NHS. Then they could work together to provide the 'cradle to the grave' care people were promised. The cost should be bourn in part by an increase in National Insurance and government subsidy.

It should not cost an individual £1,450 per week to keep warm and comfortable. (If it does, maybe the Old age pension needs an incredibly large  increase...)

Look to the work of countries such as Sweden and Denmark to see how it's done.

• Like 1