What Do You Hold On to. What Keeps You Going?

5 hours ago, cressida said:

My children, my pills,  ebay and Prince Charming round the corner,  onwards and upwards.................

The same for me, my sons. I look forward to coffee in town with my eldest (19) once a week for an hour, and my younger son (16)  usually visits at the weekend and stays overnight. We watch a film on TV, and usually an episode from a TV series after a bit of a screen time break, and get to bed at silly 'o clock.  Many Maltesers are consumed in the evening and a bit of larking about 😂

Tell us more about Prince Charming.....

6 hours ago, Norbert said:

Music is the main thing that keeps me going, listening to and playing music. Am in an original band and a covers band, the biggest pleasure is coming up with parts and arrangements for original songs, but it’s great to play some of one’s personal favourites too. I played a gig last week that gave me one of the most profound highs in years, even though it was pretty low key.

The passing of the seasons is sustaining, the first snowdrops, then the daffodils and wild garlic, then planting your own stuff especially tomatoes, Then comes summer and eating outside, autumn and the leaves turning and the mushrooms coming out. Then winter and stars, snow and cosiness.

Cooking and eating. Finding new or perfecting old recipes, a great source of pleasure 3 times a day.

Learning new things, I must have done the majority of The Great Courses and The Teaching Company stuff, from particle physics to religions of the axial age, it makes you feel nothing is beyond you and that you can keep up with what’s happening.

A beautiful and admirable partner of 40 years, our shared interests (travel, history, the cat, in-jokes)

Wish it could go on for ever.

It sounds like you have a good life, and make the most of life mate, Good for you. x 👍

1 hour ago, cressida said:

I'm certainly looking forward to Christmas,  received a nice present from Santa today.

Well if he’s already delivering presents in October he’ll have no energy or gifts left for the children on Christmas Eve. 😒

echo.

6 hours ago, Norbert said:

The passing of the seasons is sustaining, the first snowdrops, then the daffodils and wild garlic, then planting your own stuff especially tomatoes, Then comes summer and eating outside, autumn and the leaves turning and the mushrooms coming out. Then winter and stars, snow and cosiness.

I miss very much miss the seasons in the U.K. Where I am, the seasons are much less distinct. It's all mostly about temperature and the lack or non lack of daylight hours. (Partly due to daylight savings time of course) but at its best, sunset at around 6.55 PM in the Summer. On the upside, although it doesn't feel like an upside, nightfall at 4.55 at its minimum in Winter.

Of course I forget about the bleakness of freezing  January February ;) 

Hope this makes sense. Had a few beers, Hic. ;) 

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

It sounds like you have a good life, and make the most of life mate, Good for you. x 👍

They are the things that as you say keep me going, there's plenty of stress to deal with too, the last 10 years of looking after mother has pushed me to the brink on occasion, and I have to be very frugal until the pensions kick in. Cheers mate x

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Norbert said:

They are the things that as you say keep me going, there's plenty of stress to deal with too, the last 10 years of looking after mother has pushed me to the brink on occasion, and I have to be very frugal until the pensions kick in. Cheers mate x

Sad to hear, all the best with your mother and the issues Ten years is a long time... x

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

I miss very much miss the seasons in the U.K. Where I am, the seasons are much less distinct. It's all mostly about temperature and the lack or non lack of daylight hours. (Partly due to daylight savings time of course) but at its best, sunset at around 6.55 PM in the Summer. On the upside, although it doesn't feel like an upside, nightfall at 4.55 at its minimum in Winter.

Of course I forget about the bleakness of freezing  January February ;) 

Hope this makes sense. Had a few beers, Hic. ;) 

Am I right in thinking you're not far from Sydney? Crikey it must be 5am there now. Sunset in the summer at 7pm seems brutal, workers don't get much light if they leave at 5pm, I guess barbies are at the weekend. Tbh it wasn't a great summer here, we didn't get to eat in the garden much, I do enjoy watching the swallows circle until after 9pm, but there's always next year. Fancy a month's house swap?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Am I right in thinking you're not far from Sydney? Crikey it must be 5am there now. Sunset in the summer at 7pm seems brutal, workers don't get much light if they leave at 5pm, I guess barbies are at the weekend. Tbh it wasn't a great summer here, we didn't get to eat in the garden much, I do enjoy watching the swallows circle until after 9pm, but there's always next year. Fancy a month's house swap?

Kiama, two hours drive south from Sydney. Considered to be a 'country town. but well populated with tourists, which suits me having lived in Sheffield with its student population. Doesn't go down well with the locals.

Workers here get up very early in the morning many travel up to a couple of hours to work, and back so they don't mind the early nights. People here go to bed early as a result.

Back in 2017 I approached friends in Sheffield about a house swap for a few weeks but we didn't get a take up.

I Don't even feel like I'm resilient enough to organise the whole affair now, the whole thing, door to door is about thirty six hours is brutal (and feels longer)

Envy you the Swallows...

On 30/09/2024 at 21:08, Draggletail said:

Sport, family,  hobbies, friends. Looking forward to Spring, looking forward to Christmas, the new car, the next beer, the next holiday, the next shag? Etc. 

What keeps you going?

Good post. 

With the passing of years ,  I would like to hold on to unreasonably good health, we can do the right things.  We don't know  what is around the corner.