Have you made a will?

My wife and I made our first will over forty years ago. I was working for a national company at the  time and driving up to 50 thousand miles a year, mostly on motorways. We had two young children and a mortgage at the time. What prompted me to take out a will was the death of a friend of ours at the age of 37.

He had a wife and four children and a mortgage. In my naivety I assumed that  as tragic as it was, it was straightforward,

It wasn't.

Not only had she lost her husband and was left a widow in her mid thirties with four children to take care of she had to jump through legalistic hoops to sort things out.

I didn't want that to happen to my wife, so we made out a joint will. Our solicitor was a nice man, his name was Basil Laitner and he was murdered together with other members of his family in their home some years later.

We have changed our will to take changing circumstances into account over the years, but I would advise anyone to take out a will.

Without one things get complicated, and the only ones who benefit are the lawyers. It's yours, you earned it, leave it to those you care for.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, El Cid said:

If you don’t have anyone that you feel would be suitable, or your family and friends don’t want to take on the role, you could appoint a professional executor, such as a solicitor or an accountant. This can be especially useful if your estate is particularly large or complicated. A professional executor will charge for their services and this will be paid for out of your estate.

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/probate-solicitors/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=nb_-_[pro]_-_hagakure&utm_term=probate_fees&infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~534433941532~kw~probate fees~mt~b~cmp~NB+-+[PRO]+-+Hagakure~ag~(CAT:NB)(SUB:PRO)&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwgfm3BhBeEiwAFfxrG_gxC7u554G3lKZgTiZCFQkSMB1W9dCVDyi8i6XjmKYKDJ3ctLGoGRoCxXgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks El Cid :thumbsup: