Proposed Traffic Scheme - Ecclesall Road.

I've just received notification of this proposal in the post.

It is suggesting a 3.5 mile section of the road between Pear Street and Whirlowdale Road be fitted with average speed cameras, vehicle activated speed signs, new and improved crossings, reduced speed limits, remodelled road junctions etc., and is intended to reduce the number and severity of collisions along the route, which is amongst the 27 urban roads with the highest number of collisions in the UK.

I'm in total agreement with the need to reduce traffic accidents. 

What i would like to know however is the cause of the collisions and how, if the proposals are implemented, this would reduce their frequency. If the actual causes are due to reckless/dangerous behaviour on behalf of both drivers and pedestrians will new speed limits etc actually do the job? 

Erecting signs declaring the speed limit has never stopped people speeding.

In the same way, erecting signs advising pedestrians when and how to cross the road has never made them take more care.

We have laws that hand out severe punishments to people who commit murder. Has murder ever disappeared from the crime statistics?

Vehicle activated speed signs? A tempting opportunity to trigger them at the highest speed and gain kudos with your friends...

I have no suggestions on how to  improve the situation, I wish I did. Tell me if you think I'm just moaning old bugger with nothing better to do. I don't mind.

Or do you have any thoughts on how improvements could be made?

• Like 1

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Proposed Traffic Scheme - Ecclesall Road.

For context:

Road Safety Improvements Proposed for A625 Ecclesall Road Corridor

Sheffield City Council has unveiled plans to enhance road safety along a 3.5-mile stretch of the A625, one of the city’s primary routes connecting the Peak District, the western suburbs, and Sheffield city centre. This route includes Ecclesall Road, a bustling area known for its shops, restaurants, and leisure venues. The footways along the A625 are frequently used by parents and children walking to and from school, making safety a top priority.

High Collision Rates on A625 Identified

The Road Safety Foundation has highlighted the A625 as one of the UK’s 27 urban roads with the highest rates of road traffic collisions. In response, Sheffield City Council, using funding provided by the Department for Transport, has proposed a series of safety measures designed to reduce both the frequency and severity of accidents along Ecclesall Road and Ecclesall Road South.

Proposed Safety Measures

The planned improvements would span both directions, from Champs Sports Bar and Grill at the junction with Pear Street, near the inner ring road, to the junction with Whirlowdale Road in Whirlow. The measures aim to make the route safer for all road users and include:

Average speed cameras to ensure consistent speed regulation

Vehicle-activated speed signs to alert drivers to excessive speeds

New and upgraded pedestrian crossings to improve safety for those on foot

Remodelling of road junctions to reduce potential collision points

Reduced speed limits on sections of the route

Enhancements to signage and pedestrian footways

Public Consultation and Drop-In Events

To gather feedback from the community, Sheffield City Council has launched a public consultation, running from 2 October 2024 until 7 November 2024. Local residents, businesses, and stakeholders are invited to share their views on the proposed changes.

Additionally, two drop-in events will be held where members of the public can learn more about the project and speak directly with the project team. These will take place on:

Wednesday 16 October, 2pm-5:30pm at Ecclesall Library, 120 Ecclesall Road South, S11 9PL

Thursday 24 October, 4pm-7:30pm at the Jubilee Centre, City Church Sheffield, Wilson Road, Broomhall, S11 8RN

These events offer an opportunity for the community to have their say on the future of road safety on Ecclesall Road, a critical route for many Sheffield residents.

From what I've seen elsewhere and whilst driving around myself.
Most folk caught speeding a little bit over the limit, do so accidentally, and/or through lack of concentration, so the self illuminating signs can be quite effective as a reminder to slow down.
These signs normally (always??) have an upper limit above the speed limit to prevent them being used as part of a competition to see who can trigger the highest number.

I'm not sure comparing murder with speeding is necessarily appropriate, though death may also result from the latter.
Murder requires intent, low level speeding is frequently unintentional
Average speed cameras do seem to keep traffic down to the posted limits, and frequently help avoid bunching, as well as putting off the folk who insist on overtaking vehicles travelling at the speed limit.

Edited by peak4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Nice to see the council taking steps to sort out a serious problem.

The average speed cameras are the main thing, I’m not sure that it requires much else. They are all over the place in Nottingham and the traffic there seems much calmer than in Sheffield.

Parking is a huge issue on much of that road.

People park in the bus lanes or block part of the carriageway reducing safety and visibility.  It has become endemic and just an accepted part of that road for some reason.

Clear the parking and cars will have much better visibility (and traffic will flow much smoother).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Parking is a huge issue on much of that road.

People park in the bus lanes or block part of the carriageway reducing safety and visibility.  It has become endemic and just an accepted part of that road for some reason.

Clear the parking and cars will have much better visibility (and traffic will flow much smoother).

In which case, I hope that the council have plans for safer car parking and better public transport . The road is wide enough to accommodate a decent amount of parking.

Anything else will have a detrimental effect on local businesses.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

In which case, I hope that the council have plans for safer car parking and better public transport . The road is wide enough to accommodate a decent amount of parking.

Anything else will have a detrimental effect on local businesses.

It the parking during bus lane only times that is the problem.  I hope that the traffic wardens prioritise ticketing this over the neighbouring side roads.  

• Like 2

easiest way to stop problems - No right turn Ringinglow road -Ecclesall Road at Banner Cross

No Right turn  Brincliffe Edge Rd - Ecclesall Rd Banner Cross