Proposed Traffic Scheme - Ecclesall Road.

15 minutes ago, peak4 said:

From what I've seen elsewhere and whilst driving around myself.
Most folk caught speeding a little bit over the limit, do so accidentally, and/or through lack of concentration, so the self illuminating signs can be quite effective as a reminder to slow down.
These signs normally (always??) have an upper limit above the speed limit to prevent them being used as part of a competition to see who can trigger the highest number.

I'm not sure comparing murder with speeding is necessarily appropriate, though death may also result from the latter.
Murder requires intent, low level speeding is frequently unintentional
Average speed cameras do seem to keep traffic down to the posted limits, and frequently help avoid bunching, as well as putting off the folk who insist on overtaking vehicles travelling at the speed limit.

Thanks for that Peak 4.

I do agree with most of your comments, but 'accidentally ' exceeding the speed limit, for whatever reason, is surely 'driving without due care and attention' or whatever its called these days, and is an offence. 

My inclusion of murder was not intended to compare the relative severity of the actions, merely to point out, as with 'accidentally' speeding, the fact that whatever laws are in place prohibiting whatever actions, they do not stop people commiting the proscribed offence.

You could erect signs every 10 feet prohibiting whatever offences you want, but it won't stop them happening. Similarly, I'm thinking of tachographs here, monitoring and recording every vehicle's speed won't keep them to the speed limit. As for average speed cameras, I wonder how many repeat speed offenders there are on roads where they are operating? I doubt there are are none. It may reduce the numbers, but it will still happen.

The only surefire way of cutting it to zero would be to deploy permanent stingers across the road.

That of course would be ridiculous, and leave me open to criticism akin to another thread I've posted on recently. If you're not aware of it it may, or may not, contain a discussion of the well known island group off the coast of Spain and I'd be accused, quite rightly, of talking Balearics. 🤣

Thanks again.

36 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

In which case, I hope that the council have plans for safer car parking and better public transport . The road is wide enough to accommodate a decent amount of parking.

Anything else will have a detrimental effect on local businesses.

Will it though?

Studies have shown that the "pedestrian pound" is far more valuable that that of a driver. In fact, one of the best ways of increasing income - particularly for retail and hospitality - isn't to add parking, but to make the surrounding area nicer for pedestrians.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Will it though?

Studies have shown that the "pedestrian pound" is far more valuable that that of a driver. In fact, one of the best ways of increasing income - particularly for retail and hospitality - isn't to add parking, but to make the surrounding area nicer for pedestrians.

The pedestrians have to get there though. Which calls for a mix of solutions.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Fair.

And I absolutely agree that public transport does need sorting out too.

I’ve spent most of the summer in London and only drove when I had big, heavy stuff to pick up. Otherwise. Public transport was quicker and cheaper.

That’s not the case here and it is time that we didn’t have to settle for a third class service.

I drive to most places in Sheffield, because it is quicker and cheaper than the bus.

• Like 2