what are sheffield folk doing this bonfire night?

As a kid I used to enjoy it, didn't know any better, but now I definitely don't enjoy it.

The whole world and his dog are telling us constantly that we must reduce air pollution, yet we have this annual poĺlutionfest every 5th of November. (or more accurately, from mid October to Christmas, New Year and beyond.)

The wood burned by individuals and organisations is organic matter containing carbon and other materials which produce airborne smoke, ash, greenhouse gases  etc. and also our old friends dioxins. Mmm,  nice.  I wonder sometimes how much is burned in total across the country. 

(Don't mention wood burning stoves, oh no, definitely not.)

Power stations like Drax have to reduce pollutants/greenhouse gases from their chimneys, but that doesn't happen in your back gardens, or at organised pollution events.  All that lovely stuff floats up, and as Bob Mortimer says 'awaaay'.

Not to mention fireworks.

So, as you rub your stinging eyes, and look for more things to throw on the fire, do enjoy it. It's only a bit of fun after all.

This message was brought to you by TMMBIB* (Northern Branch.)

*(The Most Miserable B**tards In Britain)

Evenin' all.

Mind 'ow you go...

On 05/10/2024 at 13:54, Bellatrix said:

I think Halloween has taken over from Bonfire Night, certainly in terms of doing things with little kids.  Dressing them up, and decorating the house, is quite big here with families with small kids.  I certainly haven't seen any 'penny for the Guy' types in many a long year.

There are a couple of organised firework displays that people go to around here, but mostly it's folk setting off ridiculously loud banger type fireworks and rockets for ten minutes.  Pretty pointless, really. 

All the street beggars are called Guy nowadays; they look exceptionally real and usually sit in the entrance to supermarkets.😉

echo.

On 08/10/2024 at 19:09, MJ01 said:

Plus all those misogynists burning Catherine Wheels......it's never Geoff Wheels or Ken Wheels is it? Oh no, never. Basically anyone attending a bonfire is a woman hater

Guido Fawkes didn’t hate women as far as I know but did hate being persecuted for following his faith as a Catholic. Many think the plot was set up by the ruling establishment at the time. He paid for his views in a most gruesome way as did some of his other ‘conspirators’.

echo.

Winter is so long, dark, and miserable we need winter festivals to cheer us up. The more the merrier.

Now we have lasers and those little programable droids we could have a winter festival of lights, and winter strory telling sessions by the fire in the pub.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Winter is so long, dark, and miserable we need winter festivals to cheer us up. The more the merrier.

Now we have lasers and those little programable droids we could have a winter festival of lights, and winter strory telling sessions by the fire in the pub.

Reasonable idea Anna, no direct pollution from the lights and droids, but the electricity productiom that enables them to work produces pollution, else where of course, if it's from a power station.

Different of course if it comes from solar or wind based sources. Using that could also replace bonfires, fireworks and lighting for Guy Fawkes celebrations.

Have you ever seen Pink Floyd's 1994 Pulse concert? The light show on that was superb and something similar could I'm  sure, entertain an audience as much as burning wood and fireworks dòes. More so if it came from renewable sources.