Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by t020

If it bothered them enough they could always not work there.

Yea... great idea. In fact lets bring back asbestos mines and sending children under spinning jennies. After all - it's their choice!:loopy:

As for engine emissions, hasn't anybody spotted the considerable efforts that have been happening in the last 10 years to reduce these - even to the point of getting virtually all old cars off the roads by introducing tight legislation??:confused: It's not in the slightest bit a comparable. :loopy:

Originally posted by Tony

Yea... great idea. In fact lets bring back asbestos mines and sending children under spinning jennies. After all - it's their choice!:loopy:

As for engine emissions, hasn't anybody spotted the considerable efforts that have been happening in the last 10 years to reduce these - even to the point of getting virtually all old cars off the roads by introducing tight legislation??:confused: It's not in the slightest bit a comparable. :loopy:

While emission control in cars is plainly a good thing, any benefits have been wiped out by the growth in car numbers. There are now 50% more cars on UK roads than in 1983. In another 20 years that figure is expected to increase by a similar amount. So, emission control amounts to nothing more than running hard to stay in the same place. Bring on electric and solar cars!

(I do realise that if we'd had no emission control at all, things would be much worse, BTW)

Mojo: not a greenie

You make a very good point in that we often neeed to make big changes to stand still, though hopefully over time it will improve matters.

It shows the importance of big decisions that some people won't like (for personal reasons usually), but that are for the collective good. Things do take time though.

Who would be a politician eh?

Originally posted by Yorkie

Smokers are desperate people - They make me laugh. :D

Nice to know I brought a bit of sunshine into your life :D

They will introduce any argument to justify their harmful habit.

I wasnt justifying my habit at all, if you read the post I state I know I am polluting myself, but thats my business. But as far as Im concerned theres a lot more things far worse than secondary smoke!

Most people do not smoke.

Maybe, but again as I said before... Most people drink too much and eat too much of the wrong things... are we all so blameless? are all these I hate breathing in fumes people nuns?

Let them list the benefits of smoking. :D

There are none that I am aware... apart from it keeps the wasps away in the summer :thumbsup:

Dont rain on my parade and I wont blow smoke on yours! :D

Originally posted by Mosherchik

I wasnt justifying my habit at all, if you read the post I state I know I am polluting myself, but thats my business.

Remember that if you need hospital staff to remove your lung.

Originally posted by Sidla

Well that's certainly a perspective that could be looked at. I've lost count of the number of people I've heard complaining about H&S regulations being too OTT in this day and age.

No doubt there were people in every age saying similar things. What do you think the Victorian mill owners said about such 'new' inovations as child labour laws?

Originally posted by evildrneil

Although its many years since I filled in a claim form I remember you can put in the type of work you are looking for - if you have that much of a problem with smoking you could simply indicate you arent looking for bar work?

The rules have been tightened since then. After six months you have to be prepared to take any sort of work or loose benefits.

Just a quick question for all those smokers out there who find they are strugling to pay for their cigarettes; what do you think the annual income is of the CEO of a major tobacco comapny?

Go on have a guess. I'll give you a clue, it is likely to be higher than yours.

Here's another question; how many top tobacco executives smoke themselves. You may be suprised by the answer.

Originally posted by JoePritchard

I've never smoked in my life

Of course you have. There is no such thing as a genuine non-smoker because of passive smoking. That is what this thread is all about. It really is quite simple either everybody is smoking or everybody is not smoking.

Archived