Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Nightrider

Whoever mentioned Scientists? Although a professor at The Royal Marsden was quoted as saying he had never seen a case of cancer caused by passive smoking.

Roy Castle, bless him, would have been older than me, and as such, and being raised in the industrial north would have been subjected to the poisonous atmosphere at an early age.

Sheffield "Smog" was a greenish yellow with a sulphorous taste. I walked to school (St Vincents) on Solly Street, by way of Townhead Street. There was a Bus Garage at the bottom, opposite Hollis Croft. The buses would be parked up the length of townhead street, engines running, to warm up. I actually liked the smell and taste of the deisel fumes.

It was well known at the time, that the new fangled man-made fibre, "Nylon", would melt due to what we now know to have been acid rain.

Miners disease, asbestosis, dust disease from grinding and buffing are all easily hung on the peg of "Smoking Related", and cost less in compensation.

As I said, I'm glad I'm old.

The nannie state is breeding a nation of wimps, allergy prone, and lacking in the common sense to keep themselves out of danger. The last smoke I have, will be up the crematorium chimney

I smoke but don't have any problem with a smoking ban. I think people should be entitled to a smoke-free atmosphere. At the end of the day, a person can choose to smoke, but if a smoker smokes near a non-smoker the non-smoker has no choice but to breathe the smokers smoke. In my opinion that should be reversed, a smoker should have to move away from non-smokers before he lights up.

But people have a smoke free atmosphere. The great outside!

I choose to smoke, and I purposely choose places where smoking is permitted. I don't go into places with a no smoking policy. I already banned myself from cinemas, theatres, libraries and museums. I tolerate public transport both road and rail when absolutely necessary.

It's plain, the future belongs to the youth of today.

"A" level exams are about the equivelant of my "Eleven Plus".

The majority of posts appear to come from students,so they have a simple solution. Join the union, force a referendum, ban smoking in the student facilities (Bars). They shouldn't be able to afford the bars and clubs in the town centre, unless daddy is paying.

Smoke, you may never have to pay off the student debt!

I see from today's headlines, that smokers are to become the target for spot fines etc. Another fund raising exercise for the Councils. As for you poor bronchial cases, "Is it Catching"?? I object to people coughing and spluttering in my proximity.

The rise in Asthma sufferers?? Are all these children brought up in "Chain Smoking" Households? There is a theory that they live in such oversanitised households, they get attacked by every known germ, the moment they step into our pure fresh air. It's easy to attribute anything "Bronchial" to some kind of smoking related cause.

I think you should all buy yourselve's some of those Eco-Spheres to walk round in. Don't go to hospital with your chest problems. You could expire with MRSA, and be put down as a smoking related casualty. Or "Do Not Resusc" as in my case.

Spot Fines? When will the council put an ash tray bin, next to the litter bins? Smokers take note. If you drop your fag end in a litter bin, you could be charged with Arson when all the greasy food wrappings ignite.

A couple of hot tips!

Smoking definitely suppresses the appetite (Figure concious).

You don't see many smokers with Acne! (Don't know why)

A cigarette takes approx 7 minutes to smoke (Can't afford a timer)

Cigarette smoking seems to keep away all those annoying professional whingers who approach you with petitions etc.

It allows you to walk along Campo Lane and pick out the best looking Solicitors (Legal), as they all stand outside releiving their anxieties.

I used to have a high powered job, but as a chain smoker, they installed a cooker hood over my desk, and I had a sign on my door (Single Office) You are entering a smoke filled zone.

Surprising how many people hung around in my office. Never got any work done, but I was very popular. Can't get a job now, would have to get a wireless computer and do all my work on the steps outside (80 plus per day).

Ban smoking? It's a joke - I know a shopping Mall, where smoking is banned. Apart from the couple of snack bars that do a roaring trade in people having a fag in the open-plan caffeteria section. Take a look in castle market food section, a couple of good snack bars there.

Ban sex - - - Hiv costs far more to treat than lung cancer.

Ban NHS hospitals until they sort out MRSA.

Ban Immigration, a major source of little known diseases and cost to the tax-payers.

Do as I do, and avoid places where you are likely to encounter people of opposing views (Smokers) and if you won't? suffer in silence.

Originally posted by sheffco

Cyclone - - - It would appear to be all Me, Me, Me in your arguments. Find your own places of enjoyment, don't spout on about changing other peoples

are smokers the only ones with rights then? I don't get any?

Originally posted by Cyclone

a nice balanced generalisation there. Smokers are selfish disgusting people!

I don't think you can be that harsh. They're just doing something they enjoy. I'd just like to be able to go to the pub and not have to wash my clothes/hair afterwards because i stink. It is pretty antisocial behaviour. I'm all for banning smoking in ENCLOSED public spaces. Afterall, what if I decided to take up inhaling cyanide gas? I could quite easily do that in a public place and kill a few people. :D

Originally posted by tim_rutter

I don't think you can be that harsh. They're just doing something they enjoy. I'd just like to be able to go to the pub and not have to wash my clothes/hair afterwards because i stink. It is pretty antisocial behaviour. I'm all for banning smoking in ENCLOSED public spaces. Afterall, what if I decided to take up inhaling cyanide gas? I could quite easily do that in a public place and kill a few people. :D

is this 'pick a quote' day? I was clearly responding to the previous post to mine which said this;

Originally posted by fittdiva

well i hope that the government ban it from public places. Its in everones best interest and smokers are selfish disgusting ppl.

It's not my opinion, it's sarcasm. I wish people wouldn't quote me out of context without explaining.

Originally posted by Cyclone

is this 'pick a quote' day? I was clearly responding to the previous post to mine which said this;

It's not my opinion, it's sarcasm. I wish people wouldn't quote me out of context without explaining.

Sorry in my haste I quoted you instead of the original poster whom you were quoting.

Archived