Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by sheffco

I don't go into "trendy" pubs, only ones filled with smoking customers. The average age would be around mid fifties, so I don't think I am in any danger of encountering Cyclone, and I don't think any non smokers would sit in my little corner. The ashtray is always in use, and cigarettes and baccy tins on the table would make it obvious to all but a cretin, or agent provocateur intent on causing offense.

Well i don't think its that simple. There's no such thing as a pub full purely of smokers. And this doesn't really have anything to do with "trendy" pubs. I'm not trying to cause offence just ask you and anyone the else the question: is it fair that your passtime damages the health of others?

Originally posted by sheffco

Perhaps we should start a "Friends of Smokers" thread. It would help people from feeling like a social pariah for pursuing their own pleasures.

Thanks phanerothyme for the bit of common sense

I think smoking (like masturbation) is one of these pleasures that is best enjoyed in private and with a little discretion. Each to their own by all means but lets not force our 'pleasures' (whatever they may be) onto others.

To me that is common sense.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

I think smoking (like masturbation) is one of these pleasures that is best enjoyed in private and with a little discretion. Each to their own by all means but lets not force our 'pleasures' (whatever they may be) onto others.

To me that is common sense.

:clap: well put.

sheffco - glad to see that you response was to pick me up on my spelling, does that suggest that your argument isn't very strong?

How about if someone else was in the pub first who wasn't smoking. Would you refrain then?

Does anyone know how much of a drop in sales a pub can withstand before it has to shut ?

Just supposing all the smokers decide "sod it, I'll stay at home instead, and I'll invite some non-smoking mates round too", how long before some pubs got into trouble ?

Originally posted by nick2

Does anyone know how much of a drop in sales a pub can withstand before it has to shut ?

Just supposing all the smokers decide "sod it, I'll stay at home instead, and I'll invite some non-smoking mates round too", how long before some pubs got into trouble ?

Maybe initially that may happen and then they'll realise that they don't go to the pub just to smoke and will return to enjoy hand pullled beers and pork scratchings whilst chatting up the barmaid. As are the activities of the english pub. Smoking is just an unfortunate blemish on an otherwise unmissable experience.

But won't there be a trade off. what about all the non-smokers who start going to pubs more because they are no longer smokey.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

But won't there be a trade off. what about all the non-smokers who start going to pubs more because they are no longer smokey.

But does other people smoking stop you going out with friends because others smoke? Your mates all say Friday night at the Rising Sun etc.. and you say oh no can't go someone might smoke near us. or can't see that band at the Leadmill cos' someone might smoke etc...

I hate the smell of smoke on my clothes and hair and I often get a shower when I come in from a pub or club. But that's a personal thing and it doesn't stop me from going out.

If pubs become non smoking I think there will be an initial drop in takings but it will rise again as smokers will think - well I'm not staying at home missing out on my social life and mates just to have a fag at home.

But I reckon doorways and pub entrances might have a few people around with a ciggie lit.

no reason to believe that we are greatly different to the Irish in our behaviour. So there'll be a slight drop and then actually an increase in profits (probably down to people having spent less money on cigarettes).

Not having to put in expensive ventillation systems will save money in the long run as well.

As to how much of a drop they can stand, that would depend on the pub. Some are probably borderline break even, whilst others bring in profit by the bucket.

Originally posted by samc

But I reckon doorways and pub entrances might have a few people around with a ciggie lit.

So you will still have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in, but thats something to moan about at a future date.

If smokers still frequent the pubs after the initial shock- they'll spend more as they'll be saving money buying less fags ( the more you drink the more you smoke) and will drink quicker without their fag breaks.

Archived