Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by nick2

So you will still have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in, but thats something to moan about at a future date.

ahhh but we all need something to moan and groan about. Be a dull forum without it...

:)

Originally posted by samc

If smokers still frequent the pubs after the initial shock- they'll spend more as they'll be saving money buying less fags ( the more you drink the more you smoke) and will drink quicker without their fag breaks.

so the pubs will be filled with brawling p**s-heads instead, I think I would like that less than the smoke.

AND as was shown in ireland its causes people to smoke less (drop in cigarette sales) so there'll be less people in hospital with lung cancer meaning that there'll be more people able to go to the pub in the first place. It all makes sense.

Not read this whole thread but I'm sure someone must have made this (glaringly) obvious point already. Can't we all just be adult about this? No-smoking pubs for non-smokers and pubs where smokers can have a fag in peace?

Trouble is though that smokers are infinately more interesting people so all the non-smokers want to go where they go (whilst trying to stop them smoking in the process). Can't have it both ways folks...

(hee hee!)

Well Tim

Theres a huge drop in cigarette sales in England - - everyone buys it over the internet, or under the counter in smoking pubs.

I have just got back from my local (Estate) pub. In the space of an hour, at least two people were asking if there were cheap cigarettes for sale, and the landlady herself was smoking, although at a table close to the bar. There are ashtrays on every table, and at the bar, and you choose your company. I don't have any non smoking friends, just ones who have run out of baccy!

I prefer things that way, I would hate to make anyone uncomfortable, but I would ask why they were sitting there and complaining, after all, as you may have guessed, I am impervious to anti-smoking comments.

Try the Norfolk Arms, at the bottom of Dixon Lane. Not a trendy pub, no juke box, no fruit machines, Ive never seen the TV turned on. I've been going in there for fifty years or so on and off. Just full of old Sheffielders, and I can't see anyone on this topic converting them.

I'm glad to see that there are a few more supporters around.

Cheers

Originally posted by sheffco

Well Tim

You don't have to direct this at me... I'm not the only anti smoker. This has been proved by the various poles regarding this subject. It seems a large majority of people would like to be able to go to the pub with the knowledge that no one will be smoking there. A democratic decission would benefit the majority and in this case that would seem to be non smokers.

Also, Im sure if a total ban was brought in, you could still get away with having a sly smoke in your local pub. :)

Hmmm Not sure about this whole 'non smoker majority thing'. In some pubs, like Sheffco says, EVERYONE in them is smoking. In others this is not the case. Again, have some pubs no smoking, some pubs smoking - everyone happy.

My dad lives in a village with 2 pubs - one smoking, one non-smoking. Both do a really good trade. The smoking pub is a 'proper local', the non-smoking caters for families. Everyone happy.

Really tho, some pubs are as they are because the people who go in them make them so. If you made everyone stop smoking in locals it would take away from the character of the pub cos the people wouldn't be there!

Sorry Tim

I just meant to comment on the tobacco sales. You do come across as a very reasonable bloke (Specially the crosswords).

As some guy stated - smoking/non-smoking pubs would be the answer.

Unfortunately, withdrawal symptoms from nicotine which are a very real thing, would lead me to decline from spending too much time in a non smoking environment. I used to fly a lot, long flights, for a while, I could get by using "Emirates" or "Pakistani Airlines", KLM were one of the last to succumb to pressure. It's mainly economic - - less cleaning time, same as the shopping Malls, railways and buses etc. You see, I am incorrigible on the subject.

Just like to keep my end up, as the old saying goes

Originally posted by chickmonk

Trouble is though that smokers are infinately more interesting people so all the non-smokers want to go where they go (whilst trying to stop them smoking in the process). Can't have it both ways folks...

I don't know if this was a serious comment or if I have just missed a 'joke' but can you really substantiate this? Why do you think that smokers tend to be more interesting? I can't see the conection myself.

Archived