Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

You say that it is their [the smokers] problem if they smoke. Unfortunately, as you may have noticed, smoke does tend to drift and be breathed in by non-smokers.

it is the smokers problem that they smoke, its their addiction and their habbit. i agree that if people dont want it near them, they dont have to have it near them, but why should the smoker move?

surely if there is a higher population smoking, smoking should be allowed even in public places. and people who dont want to breathe it in then they should go somewher else. and vica versa

I smoke on and off... and I dare say people who have given up smoking and are being self-righteous about it will have a go at me for saying that :roll:

I am what is categorised as a social smoker, yes we do exist, a packet of 10 cigs can last me a month as I only ever smoke if Im in a social gathering and with smoker friends, and I will normally only have about 2. I never smoke at home, uni, or a work. Only in the comfort of a pub and in a designated smoking area.

The only time I do a chimney impression is when I am worried or nervous about something, so people who have observed my chimney act at past meets, I had something on my mind.

All in all Im a considerate smoker, I often ask if its ok for me to spark up and if people object I will either not bother or go outside.

Im gonna finish now on a rather over-used and possibly lame argument.

Ok all you people worried about passive smoking, how many of you own cars??? So much crap comes out of the exhaust of cars and buses that we all quite happily breathe in which is probably not helping our health much either.

rant over :rant::D

Originally posted by slimsid2000

I, for one, haven't suggested that anything be next.

how about banning drinking in pubs? all those drunks slobbering over you. puts me right off having a quiet ciggie!

Originally posted by Fletch

surely if there is a higher population smoking, smoking should be allowed even in public places. and people who dont want to breathe it in then they should go somewher else. and vica versa

But there isn't Fletch. Only 27% of the adult population smoke, and the figure is dropping each year.

In fact the poll in this thread shows a very similar statistic!

Originally posted by Tony

But there isn't Fletch. Only 27% of the adult population smoke, and the figure is dropping each year.

:confused: how can 36 votes on here compare with the whole country:confused:

Originally posted by Tony

can you please explain where this statistic comes from? I've never been polled on this subject and neither has any of my friends, workmates or family, so it is not 27% of the adult population as a whole. is it taken from GP records or have they just asked 100 people walking into Oxford University on a monday morning as is the usual source of most statistics.

take it im not allowed to smoke on sunday at the meet then...will have to sit all by myself. btw , i used to smoke a lot but now only smoke when i get drunk, absolutely lovely! there was no option for me to vote, i am a very considerate smoker, dont smoke in restaurants, only in clubs and pubs occasionally. never at any other times. my boyfriend has bad asthma and i dont smoke when hes around.

Originally posted by Killian

can you please explain where this statistic comes from? I've never been polled on this subject and neither has any of my friends, workmates or family, so it is not 27% of the adult population as a whole. is it taken from GP records or have they just asked 100 people walking into Oxford University on a monday morning as is the usual source of most statistics.

Pedant. I can't be botherd to find a link, but you could try the National Statistics website or the BMA or the GMC or QUIT or ASH or any one of loads of references.

Archived