Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

I though this was supposed to be a free country as well :loopy:

If it all boils down to smokers being marginalised and holed up in a little hut that so be it! at least we'll be away from all the hand waving, spluttering drama queens.

While we're at it we might as well seperate pubs into alcohol and non alcohol areas since thats bad for your health and just as addictive and a great stigma for social problems... and before we start the well you dont get passive drunkeness, no you dont, but I count getting a black eye by a drunken lout a dangerous by product of drinking.

Lets just face it we're all selfish b******s smokers want to smoke as is our right, and non-smokers dont want to breathe in our fumes as is their right, can we ever coexist in civilised society?

drunken louts can be arrested for punching you in the eye. Maybe smokers should be arrested for forcing someone to breath there smoke?

why is it always the smokers that have to go outside

because they are the ones who are actively doing something that damages someone else's health. It's not the non-smokers actively non-smoking is it.

We all have rights, but why should a smokers right to smoke outweigh the non-smokers right to not smoke?

I fall between the final two options! I don't smoke and don't particulaly like it but accept that if I go into a bar club its a social situation where people smoke and drink and if I don't like it I stay out! On the other hand if I'm at work and not really there by choice (well not in the same way as a pub) then I expect to have a nice smoke free environment :)

Looks like my wishy-washy liberalism and live-and-let-live attitude is coming to the fore again!

I frequently waver between the two sides of this argument. As Mosherchick said above, I can't stand the drama queens who go over the top, but at the same time it is inconsiderate of people to smoke around non-smokers.

As for working in a bar, why would you get a job in a bar where you know smoking is permitted if you don't want to breathe smoke?

Originally posted by Sidla

I frequently waver between the two sides of this argument. As Mosherchick said above, I can't stand the drama queens who go over the top, but at the same time it is inconsiderate of people to smoke around non-smokers.

As for working in a bar, why would you get a job in a bar where you know smoking is permitted if you don't want to breathe smoke?

Maybe they can't get a job anywhere else for whatever reason?

Originally posted by sarah d

I don't smoke but don't think there should be a government ban.It would be better if it was up to each individual company whether it wanted to be smoking/no-smoking/sections etc,then people could choose where they wanted to go.

Why?

That is like saying it should be up to each individual motorist what level of exhaust emisions come from his car. Sometimes governments have to act in the interest of the wider community.

Originally posted by Fletch

ah but this poll doesnt because this poll shows that 26 people dont like it. but 17 people can put up with it. and thats not even the whole forum! so things may change!

just because there is a 40% of people who dont like it there are still 60% who can put up with it!

I haven't checked your figures but assuming they are right, why should people have to put up with it?

Originally posted by floyd77

What about an extra option?

"I smoke, but am kind enough not to do it where and when it annoys people - but if they dont stop bleating on about it then i'm going to start blowing it in their face"

A bit long maybe - could do with touching up:)

Anyway - why is it always the smokers that have to go outside. Lets make the non-smokers move when we feel like a fag, after all they are the ones moaning about passive smoking, and we will all be out of breath if we have to keep going outside and back in again.

Non smoker - "would you mind awfully not smoking, youre killing me with your smoke"

Smoker - "thats the idea"

We will all die - and smoking only takes years off the end of your life, so we'll only be missing out on adult nappies. :thumbsup:

So much of this is patent nonsense that there is little reason in replying to it. How dare anyone so flippantly talk about their right to shorten my life.

As for your first point your views seem close to option 2 in the poll.

Originally posted by floyd77

Make them wear masks - I dont want people moaning while im enjoying my self pollution.

If you consider 'self pollution' is ok in public how about 'self abuse'?

Everyone has a right to their pleasures but there is a time and place for things.

Archived