Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by Sidla

I frequently waver between the two sides of this argument. As Mosherchick said above, I can't stand the drama queens who go over the top, but at the same time it is inconsiderate of people to smoke around non-smokers.

As for working in a bar, why would you get a job in a bar where you know smoking is permitted if you don't want to breathe smoke?

I thought better of you than this from previous comments Sidla.

Maybe all health and safety laws at work should be scrapped and when people are injured we can just laugh it off and say "well, they shouldn't have chosen to do that job", and somehow that will make it alright!

Originally posted by Sidla

As for working in a bar, why would you get a job in a bar where you know smoking is permitted if you don't want to breathe smoke?

I agree with that to some extent; any sane person knows that bars are smoke-filled environments.

As a student i'm always in bars and clubs and I don't like the smoky atmosphere at all. I always try and find a no-smoking area if at all poss. I could make a personal stand and refuse to enter any smoking bar, but then my choice would be very limited and i'd be punishing myself as I like the social atmosphere.

All I ask for is that smokers consider those around them.

Originally posted by evildrneil

I fall between the final two options! I don't smoke and don't particulaly like it but accept that if I go into a bar club its a social situation where people smoke and drink and if I don't like it I stay out! On the other hand if I'm at work and not really there by choice (well not in the same way as a pub) then I expect to have a nice smoke free environment :)

Looks like my wishy-washy liberalism and live-and-let-live attitude is coming to the fore again!

i agree totally!!

what about the people who work in the bars and clubs then?

people have a choice of where they work if they dont like smoke, quit and then they sould find a job that doesnt entitle smoking.

As Mosherchick said above, I can't stand the drama queens who go over the top, but at the same time it is inconsiderate of people to smoke around non-smokers.

oo i hate the drama queens. if as in my other quote someone is at work and they are a smoker then they should, by common courtisy, go outside

That is like saying it should be up to each individual motorist what level of exhaust emisions come from his car.

thats not true, the car manu facturers decide how many fumes come out. and there is a law on that!

Everyone has a right to their pleasures but there is a time and place for things.

true!

Maybe its inconsiderate for a non-smoker to stand near a smoker - and hogging all the good smoke on the cheap??

As for 'how dare i be so flippant with peoples life' - lighten up, it was a joke. (or is that 'light up' ):o

oh for fu*ks sake. jesus this is going nowhere, i hope therell be someone to scab a cig off on sunday hehe! anyways, u shud all chill with the arguing,. thats all you bloody lot do on here and dont you think its a bit tedious and boring after a while? every thread i see is full of whingers. god. grumpy bums. do what you want, just make sure your thinking of others while your doing it. if you dont smoke, dont sit with smokers if your that bothered, dont just sit there with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp, just move!

mimi

x

Originally posted by mimicraze

oh for fu*ks sake. jesus this is going nowhere, i hope therell be someone to scab a cig off on sunday hehe! anyways, u shud all chill with the arguing,. thats all you bloody lot do on here and dont you think its a bit tedious and boring after a while? every thread i see is full of whingers. god. grumpy bums. do what you want, just make sure your thinking of others while your doing it. if you dont smoke, dont sit with smokers if your that bothered, dont just sit there with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp, just move!

mimi

x

well said. i'm a non-smoker and i simply don't understand how smoking encroaches on peoples lives the way it does some people on here. however, i already explained all this at the beginning of this thread and it has whinged on for pages and pages afterwards. people smoking outside doesn't affect me at all. if i go in a pub and its too smokey for me. i go to another one with less smoke. fortunately, i appreciate how difficult it is to give up smoking and know that not all smokers are ignorant or selfish.

Originally posted by mimicraze

wow killian i love you!

if you look anything like Raul of real madrid or Viggo Mortensen we may be able to come to some kind of arrangement!!;)

Better make that Nicole Kidman, actually, as I've just discovered you're female ;)

Originally posted by Fletch

thats not true, the car manu facturers decide how many fumes come out. and there is a law on that!

That was my point exactly. There are laws (no doubt set by the 'Nanny State' and enforced by 'Jobsworths' and 'Little Hitlers' in some people's opinions) which control emisions for the benefit of society as a whole. This is not true of cigarettes and where they can be smoked.

Archived