Parson’s Crosse Lane

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

Yes indeed, that’s “Parson’s Crosse Lane”, not Parson Cross Lane and the place name dates back to at least 1637.  It is interesting how place names can vary and evolve and, like language are not set in stone.

https://www.mikehigginbottominterestingtimes.co.uk/2014/01/26/parson-cross/

You should check out the Great Flue of 1867 on Parson’s Crosse.

When I was around 8/9 years old. I went to Lindsey Road School. We had always referred to "Parson Cross" as Parson Cross. That was until a teacher informed us that we were saying it incorrectly. That it was Parson Cross. Not Parsons. From that day we have called it Parson.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blackhill said:

When I was around 8/9 years old. I went to Lindsey Road School. We had always referred to "Parson Cross" as Parson Cross. That was until a teacher informed us that we were saying it incorrectly. That it was Parson Cross. Not Parsons. From that day we have called it Parson.

Call it what you want there's not much left of it nowadays. 

Thats true gaz. I lived on Deerlands Ave, before getting married in 1966.  The house I was brought up in ( top of Holgate Cres. Black Hill ) has, along with a load of other house been demolished.  When I used to go back to Sheffield I would always go down Deerlands to the area I used to live and play.

• Like 1

Mike's website is one where a ten minute view turns into a couple of entertaining hours. I've had the pleasure of attending his talks and the Tour of Attercliffe he organised using an old double decker Sheffield bus.