12 minutes ago, redruby said:

Has anyone ever been to a seance?  Was anybody from the other side there?  👻

Good luck with this. The forum over the years and even now has proved to be quite unforgiving regarding this sort of post...

The people that claim to be mediums are often very skilled indeed.  Cold reading (and hot reading) is an art and a science, and like any showmanship skill it takes a lot of effort to perfect.  Coupled with charisma and confidence it can be very convincing. 

There are some very fine magicians out there who put on similar shows, the only difference being that they tell you what they're doing and how they're doing it.

There was a study a while back where mediums gave their usual psychic readings to several people.  They all failed spectacularly.  The reason why they failed is that the people who were being 'read' were presented to the mediums in such a way that the mediums couldn't do their usual cold reading: looking for subtle feedback, asking leading questions, reading body language, glossing over incorrect responses and so on.

It's also interesting to see the responses when people are interviewed after what they think is a successful and illuminating trip to see a medium, and are shown exactly how many misses the medium has for every apparent 'hit' (which are really just the result of coincidence, leading questions and subtle subsequent questioning). 

Memory and confirmation bias are tricksy things, especially when coupled with some people's fervent need to believe that they're really talking to their beloved dead.

I think mediums are despicable.  They prey on the grieving and monetise their pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, redruby said:

Has anyone ever been to a seance?  Was anybody from the other side there?  👻

Well I went out one night boozing, and we discussed this very subject.

I got a bit tipsy, and when I got home I thought I'll have my own Seance.

Now I've got a large round kitchen table, but no Oiuja board, so I opened a can of Alphabetti Spaghetti , I then laid carefully the letters around the outside of the table..

I placed an upturned wine glass in the centre, placed the palm of my hand on the wine glass, and asked the question.

IS THERE ANYBODY THERE!

Nothing happened for a few minutes, then, the palm of my hand felt movement.

The wine glass started to move, quicker and quicker it circled the circumference of the table in a specific manner, I struggled to keep up as wrote down the letters, finally the glass came to a halt....

I was exhausted and in a state of shock.

I sat back and looked at the message it had sent me.. 

It Read.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Dam it, I'd opened a tin of Spaghetti Hoops by mistake...........

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Good luck with this. The forum over the years and even now has proved to be quite unforgiving regarding this sort of post...

I’m not being gullible. I’m just interested in people’s experiences of seances whatever the source of any communications!

• Like 1

Just now, redruby said:

I’m not being gullible. I’m just interested in people’s experiences of seances whatever the source of any communications!

I don't think that you're being gullible at all! I just think that  you're not going to get any positive feedback on this topic, and that's based on my experience of observing this sort of topic over the years on this forum.

I wish you all the best with your thread and will follow with interest!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Well , you are bound to get the cynics out redruby 😁

Well, this is true.  And of course there are many charlatans preying on the vulnerable out there.  I do believe though that many people (probably most in fact), if they experience something they perceive to be “supernatural” will not broadcast it. Who wants to be suspected of being mad, trying to fool others or just being gullible or eccentric?  That doesn’t mean I believe in voices from the other side or similar before anyone tries to pounce on that.  I just think it’s an interesting subject.

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

I don't think that you're being gullible at all! I just think that  you're not going to get any positive feedback on this topic, and that's based on my experience of observing this sort of topic over the years on this forum.

I wish you all the best with your thread and will follow with interest!

You are probably correct, let’s see!  

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Dam it, I'd opened a tin of Spaghetti Hoops by mistake...........

I did hear somewhere some sort of prediction that you might be taking a break Mr. P but whoever said that was obviously, like mediums, fortune tellers, clairvoyants etc were all talking something that sounds like the collective name for the island group that includes Majorca and Ibiza.

Didn't work for me either Padders as you can see. 🙄🙄🙄

• Haha 2