2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I bow to your greater knowledge about Theoretical Physics.

However, I think there have been enough investigated but still unexplained phenomenon to believe that maybe there is something else at work. I have no idea what that is and maybe science will be able to explain it sometime in the future, but at the moment it is unexplained. Who Knows what power is behind it? 

As for mediums I'm sure there are many fakes, but it only takes one genuine one to raise questions about the nature of things strange. Prophets and Mystics have been part of cultures around the world dating back millennia. The source is at present unknown. Ley lines, water divining, and a number of other phenomena still defy rational explanation. To think that science will one day unravel the entire mystery of the Universe strikes me as rather arrogant and as harmful as fanatics are to religion. Belief in a God can be good for us, we need a little mystery in our lives to peak our curiosity, imagination and awe.  

Yes!

21 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Yes!

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent spirit. This spirit is the matrix of all matter"

Max Planck.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

However, I think there have been enough investigated but still unexplained phenomenon to believe that maybe there is something else at work. I have no idea what that is and maybe science will be able to explain it sometime in the future, but at the moment it is unexplained. Who Knows what power is behind it?

As for mediums I'm sure there are many fakes, but it only takes one genuine one to raise questions about the nature of things strange.

Being unexplained doesn't make 'because God' or 'because supernatural power' an adequate or even sensible explanation.  And again, to keep on this on topic, protocols have been established to test mediums' claims and none have been able to come up with the goods when the test controls for cold reading. 

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the claim that people can communicate with the dead.  Show me that, demonstrate it unequivocally, replicate it, and I'll retract my claims.

Prophets and Mystics have been part of cultures around the world dating back millennia. The source is at present unknown.

We used to drill holes in people's heads to extract the demons that caused what we now know to be epilepsy and schizophrenia.  We used to believe in magic and burn women to death because of it.  Time, evidence and science marches on, thankfully, leaving superstition behind.

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The source is at present unknown. Ley lines, water divining, and a number of other phenomena still defy rational explanation.

There is no evidence for any mystical power associated with Ley lines.  The landscape certainly is traversed with ancient pathways that have on occasion been associated with certain beliefs, old coffin tracks, for example, but there's nothing supernatural about them.  Water divining is the ideomotor effect, the same phenomenon that accounts for the movement of ouija board pointers.

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

To think that science will one day unravel the entire mystery of the Universe strikes me as rather arrogant and as harmful as fanatics are to religion.

Why is that arrogant?  We're gradually building up knowledge of the world around us, chipping away one tiny chunk at a time.  Thirty years ago we knew little about regulatory RNA molecules; the people who worked on that have just won the Nobel Prize.  How is that harmful or fanatical?

26 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Belief in a God can be good for us, we need a little mystery in our lives to peak our curiosity, imagination and awe. 

I agree with the bit in bold.  I recommend a good Poirot or Miss Marple, perhaps an Ian Rankin.  A belief in God or gods, where every unexplained thing can be ascribed to that entity or belief, is the very opposition of curiosity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baz1 said:

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent spirit. This spirit is the matrix of all matter"

Max Planck.

Again, Yes! Thanks for the enlightening quote.  👍

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I bow to your greater knowledge about Theoretical Physics.

As for mediums I'm sure there are many fakes, but it only takes one genuine one to raise questions about the nature of things strange. Prophets and Mystics have been part of cultures around the world dating back millennia. The source is at present unknown. Ley lines, water divining, and a number of other phenomena still defy rational explanation. To think that science will one day unravel the entire mystery of the Universe strikes me as rather arrogant and as harmful as fanatics are to religion. Belief in a God can be good for us, we need a little mystery in our lives to peak our curiosity, imagination and awe.  

What is arrogant and harmful is promoting the extortion of money and power over people by pedalling beliefs that establish Prophets, Mystics and Gods. Thinking that science will one day unravel the entire mystery of the Universe strikes me as being highly unlikely, but every day we unravel a bit more, not as arrogant fanatics but as humans who have a built-in inquisitiveness and need to understand. 

• Like 1

Just now, crisispoint said:

And yet we believe them when they pontificate on health, lifestyle choices, diet, strange disease and the climate, faith perhaps.

No, I wouldn't trust mediums on those things, either.

• Like 1