1 hour ago, redruby said:

Ok, so you ‘don’t do’ beliefs or beliefs systems. As you don’t specify any particular belief or belief system you ‘’don’t do’, and given this in reply to discussion on the supernatural and religion i venture to say it isn’t wildly unreasonable to take this as meaning you ‘don’t do’ religion or the supernatural.  Or perhaps that you ‘don’t do’  any belief or belief system (which would have course include religion and the supernatural). As these are indeed beliefs/belief systems.  As you have acknowledged.
I’m really not sure what point you trying to make. 

As you accept that " I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems"", and you have already been told  that " I also see supernatural beliefs as fundamentally the same as religious beliefs..," you can rest assured  I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems"  including supernatural beliefs and religious beliefs.

On 08/10/2024 at 12:29, alchresearch said:

I used to go to a weekly "circle" at a spiritualist church for about a year. I didn't necessarily believe or disbelieve, I just wanted to see what it was all about. I believe there's far more out there than the human eye can see or the mind can comprehend.

Some weeks absolutely nothing would "come through", at others someone might get a message come through for someone or nobody present.

But they didn't do it for money and the spirits didn't turn up on demand for punters like they do for mediums.

I had no idea what happened at a Spiritualist Church until I went with a relative when I first moved to Newcastle, she works for Northumbria Police and has been going for a number of years, she believes in spiritualism and she said shes received messages from loved ones.

Where I went the building looked like a church, you sang hymns and prayed to god but the service was led by a Medium. It was the end bit I didn’t like when the Medium is supposedly getting messages from the dead. 

One elderly lady got a message from her late husband,  she was told not to worry about him he is okay, just look after yourself, the woman was distraught after receiving this message. Some of the messages I thought were pathetic and the Mediums did receive a payment.

I have said this on a number of occasions on the forum, I’m not religious, life can be very challenging at times, my religious friends and relatives cope far better than me with life’s problems, so if religion and spiritualism helps them through life  then who am I to call their faith. There are times when I wish I was religious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As you accept that " I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems"", and you have already been told  that " I also see supernatural beliefs as fundamentally the same as religious beliefs..," you can rest assured  I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems"  including supernatural beliefs and religious beliefs.

Ok. So this appears to be a very roundabout way of saying that you are indeed not religious, despite you previously taking exception to me saying this.  Apparently because although this was implied very strongly in your posts you did not literally state ‘I am not religious’.  You then appeared to be saying that your ‘not doing’ beliefs and belief systems was quite different from not being religious.  Despite religion being an example of one. However, you now state we can ‘rest assured’ you do not have religious beliefs.
If you wish to taken seriously as a rational person who doesn’t tolerate beliefs without scientific explanation you aren’t giving the best impression with all this muddle headed nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I had no idea what happened at a Spiritualist Church until I went with a relative when I first moved to Newcastle, she works for Northumbria Police and has been going for a number of years, she believes in spiritualism and she said shes received messages from loved ones.

Where I went the building looked like a church, you sang hymns and prayed to god but the service was led by a Medium. It was the end bit I didn’t like when the Medium is supposedly getting messages from the dead. 

One elderly lady got a message from her late husband,  she was told not to worry about him he is okay, just look after yourself, the woman was distraught after receiving this message. Some of the messages I thought were pathetic and the Mediums did receive a payment.

I have said this on a number of occasions on the forum, I’m not religious, life can be very challenging at times, my religious friends and relatives cope far better than me with life’s problems, so if religion and spiritualism helps them through life  then who am I to call their faith. There are times when I wish I was religious. 

That last paragraph explains very well why I dislike disparaging remarks about others beliefs even though I’m not a believer in religion or spiritualism personally.  

3 hours ago, redruby said:

Ok. So this appears to be a very roundabout way of saying that you are indeed not religious, despite you previously taking exception  to me saying this.  Apparently because although this was implied very strongly in your posts you did not literally state ‘I am not religious’.  You then appeared to be saying that your ‘not doing’ beliefs and belief systems was quite different from not being religious.  Despite religion being an example of one. However, you now state we can ‘rest assured’ you do not have religious beliefs.
If you wish to taken seriously as a rational person who doesn’t tolerate beliefs without scientific explanation you aren’t giving the best impression with all this muddle headed nonsense.

Is " I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems",  muddle headed nonsense?

Is  agreeing with the poster who sees supernatural beliefs as fundamentally the same as religious beliefs, muddle headed nonsense?

Is  disagreeing with your repeated  use of descriptor - "not religious", muddle headed nonsense?

Unfortunately you have found the need add fiction to elaborate your story e.g. "venture to say it isn’t wildly unreasonable", "appears to", "taking exception", "literally state", " implied", or that I am a "rational person who doesn’t tolerate beliefs without scientific explanation".

And invent things such:

•    You decided that "‘not doing’ beliefs and belief systems was quite different from not being religious." I did not say that,
  •    You have decided that " ' I am not religious' ", I have not said that.
  •    You have decided that  I stated that I " ...do not have religious beliefs." I have not said that. 

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Is " I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems",  muddle headed nonsense?

Is  agreeing with the poster who sees supernatural beliefs as fundamentally the same as religious beliefs, muddle headed nonsense?

Is  disagreeing with your repeated  use of descriptor - "not religious", muddle headed nonsense?

Unfortunately you have found the need add fiction to elaborate your story e.g. "venture to say it isn’t wildly unreasonable", "appears to", "taking exception", "literally state", " implied", or that I am a "rational person who doesn’t tolerate beliefs without scientific explanation".

And invent things such:

•    You decided that "‘not doing’ beliefs and belief systems was quite different from not being religious." I did not say that,
  •    You have decided that " ' I am not religious' ", I have not said that.
  •    You have decided that  I stated that I " ...do not have religious beliefs." I have not said that. 

You actually posted this:

“you can rest assured  I do not do "beliefs" or "belief systems"  including supernatural beliefs and religious beliefs.”

This is a direct a direct quote so you can’t claim (yet again), that I’m getting things wrong saying you don’t have a religious belief.  

You have made several posts that any reasonable person would interpret as demonstrating you are not religious but you continued to say I was getting this wrong because you had not actually said such a thing directly.  Well clearly you have now.

I think described your replies as ‘muddle headed nonsense’ is actually quite mild.

10 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I was baptised in a Spiritualist Church, so I suppose I am one, although I'd never been to a meeting / Spiritualist Church  until recently.  So I finally went out of curiosity as much as anything else. 

I have to say the people were lovely, the service was lovely, and abided very much with my own beliefs in that it was very much a personal, do it yourself, 'by the people, for the people' kind of service. Like Hauxwell, I also found the end of the proceedings rather difficult to take,  but I especially enjoyed the friendly informal discussion on the nature of beliefs, and the willingness to talk openly and with humour.  Much I imagine as Jesus did with his disciples.

I was impressed by the overall down to earth kindness and acceptance within the group as a whole.  At last a small informal church without the male dominated hierarchy and cant of some of the bigger churches. I've always believed that being spiritual is different to being religious; whatever floats your boat, so I have to agree whole heartedly with your last paragraph Hauxwell. 

• Like 1