The apocalyptic film of a Nuclear war set in Sheffield is on BBC 4 tonight at 10.15.

Threads' was first shown 40 years ago in 1984 and caused controversy from the start. It scared the pants off a whole generation, especially Sheffield people. It will be interesting to watch it today to see if it has aged at all, or if it's still relevant.

Actually it's a whole evening devoted to all things nuclear, so should be interesting.

There's a whole generation grown up since Threads was first shown. Dare I say a generation that think they know it all. They have different attitudes and ideas to us old-timers which is fair enough, but one seems to be that somehow a nuclear war can be survived. Let's hope that with the state of the world they never get to test it. This is perhaps a  timely reminder, that IMO, it can't be.

Ooops, sorry, didn't see the post on Sheffield Discussions. 

Having said that, the fact that it was made in Sheffield is interesting but a bit irrelevant to the actual subject matter, which could be set anywhere, so maybe it also needs a heads up in General Discussions too, so as to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Everyone needs to watch this.   

19 hours ago, Anna B said:

The apocalyptic film of a Nuclear war set in Sheffield is on BBC 4 tonight at 10.15.

Threads' was first shown 40 years ago in 1984 and caused controversy from the start. It scared the pants off a whole generation, especially Sheffield people. It will be interesting to watch it today to see if it has aged at all, or if it's still relevant.

Actually it's a whole evening devoted to all things nuclear, so should be interesting.

There's a whole generation grown up since Threads was first shown. Dare I say a generation that think they know it all. They have different attitudes and ideas to us old-timers which is fair enough, but one seems to be that somehow a nuclear war can be survived. Let's hope that with the state of the world they never get to test it. This is perhaps a  timely reminder, that IMO, it can't be.

I agree with you Anna, up to a point..

I first watched the film 40 years ago and found it very harrowing, I watched it again about 20 years ago and found it disturbing..

I watched it last night and thought it was daft, maybe I spent too much time looking for the up and coming starlet of the show (Mr. Gormenghast)

Seriously, todays weapons are for more sophisticated, they use "Tactical nuclear weapons" these pinpoint targets with amazing accuracy . Military installations, factory's, etc. would be prime targets.

I think the film "Threads" is way past it's sell by date..

On 10/10/2024 at 10:44, Padders said:

I first watched the film 40 years ago and found it very harrowing, I watched it again about 20 years ago and found it disturbing..

I watched it last night and thought it was daft, maybe I spent too much time looking for the up and coming starlet of the show (Mr. Gormenghast)

Seriously, todays weapons are for more sophisticated, they use "Tactical nuclear weapons" these pinpoint targets with amazing accuracy . Military installations, factory's, etc. would be prime targets.

The only reason to use targeted weapons would be in a slowly escalating nuclear conflict. Military planners do not envisage such a thing possible between countries with stocks of ballistic missiles.

Cruise/battlefield/anti submarine and tactical warheads were designed to be used on advancing armies in third party countries e.g. West Germany and East Germany, and in modern times on Iran, North Korea or the Gulf States. As soon as a nuclear country launches its tactical weapons on another nuclear country, the attacked country would have to use or loose all of its missiles. With all the missiles launched, urban areas become the target.

Seriously, todays weapons are more sophisticated but they are bigger, have many more warhead and kill far more people -slowly. In the 1970s planners expected more to die slowly. Now more will die instantly because of multiple warheads.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The only reason to use targeted weapons would be in a slowly escalating nuclear conflict. Military planners do not envisage such a thing possible between countries with stocks of ballistic missiles.

Cruise/battlefield/anti submarine and tactical warheads were designed to be used on advancing armies in third party countries e.g. West Germany and East Germany, and in modern times on Iran, North Korea or the Gulf States. As soon as a nuclear country launches its tactical weapons on another nuclear country, the attacked country would have to use or loose all of its missiles. With all the missiles launched, urban areas become the target.

Seriously, todays weapons are more sophisticated but they are bigger, have many more warhead and kill far more people -slowly. In the 1970s planners expected more to die slowly. Now more will die instantly because of multiple warheads.

Always look on the sh*te side of life...

On 10/10/2024 at 10:44, Padders said:

Ah like most of us ont forum🤪🤪😂😂