Free asylum seeker bus travel scheme back by 2026 - Hyslop

31 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Where to start with that absolute nonsense?

Firstly I wholeheartedly support Israel and it's right to defend itself and go after the terrorist organisations that want to obliterate them off the face of the Earth and no amount of self righteous people will make me think otherwise. I rest easy knowing my thoughts on that situation.

Regards your " because of our foreign policy" that Asylum seekers come to the UK... The link below shows a list of the countries that they mostly come from.

Can you inform me what foreign policy of "ours" cajols them to come from basically all apart from Afghan and Syria?

What foreign policy of ours makes Albanians come over for example?

https://postimg.cc/Z9Khk3L5

To add, I've never stated we shouldn't give Asylum seekers basic help, I was just responding to other posts regarding what they get for free, however I've absolutely no doubt that there are millions of folk who have contributed to this country by grafting hard who would love to get free specs and dental care.

You seem very concerned about their situation, do you accommodate any asylum seekers in your home?

Firstly, thanks for engaging in the debate, rather than just asking moronic questions.

It isn’t nonsense though, Al. The top five countries in your link are all there, at least in part because of our Foreign Policy and the Foreign Policies of our allies, Eritrea might be an exception, but that situation has been made worse by Israeli policy.

There are desperate people, all over the world, fleeing wars and oppression which is none of their fault. Some of it is our fault though and we could behave differently.

For  example, there are about 2 000 000 displaced Palestinians in Gaza at the moment. Unless the international community does something quickly to force Israel to rebuild the place, those people are going to be coming our way. We really all be piling pressure on Israel to make adequate reparations as quickly as possible, instead of arming them to cause a similar problem in Lebanon.

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Where to start with that absolute nonsense?

Firstly I wholeheartedly support Israel and it's right to defend itself and go after the terrorist organisations that want to obliterate them off the face of the Earth and no amount of self righteous people will make me think otherwise. I rest easy knowing my thoughts on that situation.

Regards your " because of our foreign policy" that Asylum seekers come to the UK... The link below shows a list of the countries that they mostly come from.

Can you inform me what foreign policy of "ours" cajols them to come from basically all apart from Afghan and Syria?

What foreign policy of ours makes Albanians come over for example?

https://postimg.cc/Z9Khk3L5

To add, I've never stated we shouldn't give Asylum seekers basic help, I was just responding to other posts regarding what they get for free, however I've absolutely no doubt that there are millions of folk who have contributed to this country by grafting hard who would love to get free specs and dental care.

You seem very concerned about their situation, do you accommodate any asylum seekers in your home?

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Firstly, thanks for engaging in the debate, rather than just asking moronic questions.

It isn’t nonsense though, Al. The top five countries in your link are all there, at least in part because of our Foreign Policy and the Foreign Policies of our allies, Eritrea might be an exception, but that situation has been made worse by Israeli policy.

There are desperate people, all over the world, fleeing wars and oppression which is none of their fault. Some of it is our fault though and we could behave differently.

For  example, there are about 2 000 000 displaced Palestinians in Gaza at the moment. Unless the international community does something quickly to force Israel to rebuild the place, those people are going to be coming our way. We really all be piling pressure on Israel to make adequate reparations as quickly as possible, instead of arming them to cause a similar problem in Lebanon.

They keep telling civilians to get out so that means they are bombing empty buildings, what's the sense and point in that?

Regarding Albanians, yes there was a large peak, which may well have been due to the UK no longer being in The EU, but that peak fell dramatically after 2023
Rather than just holding them without considering their applications, apparently to act as a deterrent, then maybe more failed asylum seekers could have been returned earlier.
Milestone reached in UK-Albania agreement on illegal migration
Over 1,000 Albanian nationals have been returned since the UK-Albania joint communiqué was signed on 13 December.

The actual numbers arriving, some of their reasons and the % granted are discussed here.
Albanian asylum seekers in the UK and EU: a look at recent data  27 Apr 2023 Migration Observatory

Key points
In 2022, around 16,000 Albanian citizens applied for asylum in the UK, making up 16% of all asylum applicants.
Albanian small boat arrivals fell dramatically in the last quarter of 2022 and the first quarter of 2023 after a peak in the summer of 2022.
In 2021 and 2022, almost half of UK initial decisions on Albanian asylum applications were positive.
The UK’s initial decision grant rate for Albanian asylum applicants in 2022 was higher than most EU countries but comparable to the rates in Ireland and Italy.
The UK’s asylum grant rate for Albanian asylum applicants is driven by women.
In 2022, 12% of Albanian citizens arriving via small boat were referred to the UK’s modern slavery system.

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

A pleasure.

I am more to blaming the governments of the said countries for being terrorists and despots rather than taking the  muddled opinion that's it's " ours and our allies fault"

We ain't perfect but I know who I would rather control things

Unfortunately innocent folk suffer because of terrorists, this has always happened and will continue to do so until we cease to exist.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

A pleasure.

I am more to blaming the governments of the said countries for being terrorists and despots rather than taking the  muddled opinion that's it's " ours and our allies fault"

We ain't perfect but I know who I would rather control things

Unfortunately innocent folk suffer because of terrorists, this has always happened and will continue to do so until we cease to exist.

There isn’t any muddled opinion about it.

War causes refugees.

We promote wars as part of our foreign policy.

You carry on cheerleading for the Israelis in Gaza. But please don’t moan when those displaced people end up here.

• Like 2