“Wonderful characterful exposed beams”

Don't give them ideas they'll be advertising it with outdoor swimming pool.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

"Well David, who'd live in a home like this?  Over to you." 

"A gullible idiot, Lloyd." 

I am intrigued though.  The door beyond the massive beam that we never saw opened?  What's behind that? 

It's probably a straight drop into The Don? 

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2024 at 11:43, geared said:

This exactly, how has this passed any kind of building regs?

That giant beam in the way is kind of an issue for emergency egress, especially for someone with mobility issues.

I remember these from back in the day when they were first developed. It's not meant to be a bedroom.  They are studio flats with a mezzanine storage / study deck.

The giveaways are the downstairs bathroom and homespun sofabed.  The estate agent is being a bit, well a bit estate agenty. 🤣 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

I remember these from back in the day when they were first developed. It's not meant to be a bedroom.  They are studio flats with a mezzanine storage / study deck.

The giveaways are the downstairs bathroom and homespun sofabed.  The estate agent is being a bit, well a bit estate agenty. 🤣 

If that's the case then have all the necessary documents been processed? 

From Google:

"If you want to change a studio flat into a one-bedroom flat, you may need to get: Landlord consent, Building Control approval, and A Deed of Alteration from the Freeholder."

Now it may have been the Landlord that made the alteration so the consent bit would be ambiguous. However I doubt Building Control would have signed that off. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2024 at 14:53, Baron99 said:

I am intrigued though.  The door beyond the massive beam that we never saw opened? 

It's a granny flat

Or for those with long memories, that's where they keep the bank manager.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

@Resident I don't know about this particular apartment but I'm pretty certain that the smaller unhabitable mezzanines originally had ladder access, not a fully carpeted staircase.

Well after a rewatch I noticed that the stairs up to the mezzanine don't conform to building regs due to the lack of a handrail. BRs state staircases must have at least one handrail either side.

They can still have the open design but there must be a rail on the wall side. 

This would further my thought that it's a conversion done with being certified 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Correction, I thought that it was Cornish / Brooklyn Works but it's not.

Is it something down Mowbray Street maybe?