best park in sheffield and why?

10 hours ago, bassett one said:

i used to go to concord park it was lovely with bluebell wood ,also the putting green and the childrens swings and firth park to float my boat in the pond area and ienjoyed eccesfield park the stream and the funfair in the summer hols in the 60s with my grand parents, millhouses as well,but graves for fishing as a kid, some great carp, used to canoe there with the school turn over and swim in the boating lake , would breach H&S now, plus i learnt the other day thousand of kids cannot swim , in the 60s were there was no cash so they said we all went from school to learn to swim and passed 100,250,500 yards tests.

I think you'll find some aspects of education were much better funded back in the 1960's - swimming was one.

21 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think you'll find some aspects of education were much better funded back in the 1960's - swimming was one.

yes weekly visits on a bus to heeley baths from greenhill school,in the 60s , taught to swim and then various certificates and badges for how far you had swam , most got 25 yards = 1 length, then up to 500 yards and life saving, why not now its a major thing to learn and healthy as well.

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

in the 60s were there was no cash so they said we all went from school to learn to swim and passed 100,250,500 yards tests.

It's part of the national curriculum:

All schools must provide swimming instruction either in key stage 1 or key stage 2.

In particular, pupils should be taught to:

swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
    use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
    perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations

Yeah back in the early to mid 80s they used to take us to swimming lessons on Tuesdays to the old Hillsborough baths (which is now the Rawson Spring pub), and then because they decided I had an aptitude for swimming, they used to take me out of classes for private swimming lessons up at Oakes Park, also on Tuesdays.