Have You Got Less Tolerant as You Grow Older or More Tolerant?

17 hours ago, peak4 said:

Probably less tolerant since retirement.
In a work environment, as well as one of my outside interests (motorsport), I felt the need to always act professionally.

Part of that was not arguing about stuff to which I strongly objected, as that wasn't why I was employed; it seemed more appropriate to either bite my lip somewhat, or occasionally gently to offer an alternative perspective.

Now I'm more free to chose with whom I associate, and am much more prepared to call out most of the "isms" which I personally find offensive; racism, religious hatred, sexism, etc.

More generally I'm able to speak out against those folk who seek to pick on others, as a means of dividing, rather than uniting society.

My circle of contacts is now smaller than previously, but rather less stressful.

Nice that you now have the freedom to speak as you feel and are no longer constrained. The friends that you no longer see because of this are not a loss... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I was posting about tolerance generally, not specifically, but I appreciate your valid comment. :thumbsup:

Oh, yes, I see that :) .  I meant there are issues where it's impossible to be tolerant, so it's difficult to speak generally of life rubbing off the spiky edges.

19 minutes ago, XboxMan2024 said:

One example is the fact that for various reasons I hate the London accent, but because my Brother's kids were born in South West London (Kingston On Thames) I have to tolerate it when the family comes up.

Are we allowed to say we don't like the sound of someone's accent though?   I'll test it - I don't like some Welsh and Scottish accents.

3 minutes ago, cressida said:

Are we allowed to say we don't like the sound of someone's accent though?   I'll test it - I don't like some Welsh and Scottish accents.

Some do, for instance, being late 40's, I speak in a kind of "old school" Yorkshire accent, therefore some people struggle to understand me, particularly on the phone.

Also, because I have a profound hearing loss, I have a loud voice, and some people think I shout a lot, again, particularly on the phone.

6 minutes ago, XboxMan2024 said:

Some do, for instance, being late 40's, I speak in a kind of "old school" Yorkshire accent, therefore some people struggle to understand me, particularly on the phone.

Also, because I have a profound hearing loss, I have a loud voice, and some people think I shout a lot, again, particularly on the phone.

Oh well,  you're exempt then.

On 16/10/2024 at 21:30, lavery549@yahoo said:

I am more tolerant in some circumstances . But ,I am less tolerant of a lot of situations now .For example , the "woe is me lot " . People who just think about nobody but themselves .To name but a couple 

Woe is me ...