how would you change sheffield city centre?

7 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Cheaper car parking would make a massive difference.

Why would anyone pay an extra £10 (or more) when they could go to an out of town retail park and park for free?

Because city centres offer many things that out-of-town retail parks don't. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Cheaper car parking would make a massive difference.

Why would anyone pay an extra £10 (or more) when they could go to an out of town retail park and park for free?

You don’t have to pay an extra tenner. It is  £2 by bus from anywhere to town. Which must be  cheaper than driving for almost everyone.

Plus, I’d rather put my fingers in a plug socket than slog around Meadowhall. Crystal Peaks is worse. 

Making the city centre more accessible by bus, tram and bike is the way forward. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i think theres so much needs doing including, sorting out the old market area, make it car friendly and put on things to bring people to the city centre, what do you all think?

Doddle to get into and out of the city centre. Easier than half the samll towns in France that have extensive one way sysrems,

45 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i think theres so much needs doing including, sorting out the old market area, make it car friendly and put on things to bring people to the city centre, what do you all think?

Wouldn't necessarily make it car friendly, maybe have bus only routes through the centre, eg reopen Pinstone for buses explicitly, no taxis. 

Push police in to actually dealing with the scrotes that hang about Arundel Gate/High St/bottom of Fargate rather than blindly driving past whilst drugs are openly being dealt. 

Some covered seating would be nice

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bassett one said:

The old market area is already being 'sorted out'. There is a major master plan for regeneration and huge amounts of works happening now. 

Who do you mean car friendly?  Thousands of people drive into the city perfectly fine every single day.  Regardless if you seriously think that any city in this country is going to reverse decades of trends of pedestrianisation, road controls and government mandated car reduction initiatives you are deluded.  

As for put on things to bring people into the city centre. We have already had this debate on your other thread you started.  I provided  a long list of things that the city does to bring people in. 

So why don't you start with a suggestion... What do you feel the city centre needs so desperately? 

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The old market area is already being 'sorted out'. There is a major master plan for regeneration and huge amounts of works happening now. 

Who do you mean car friendly?  Thousands of people drive into the city perfectly fine every single day.  Regardless if you seriously think that any city in this country is going to reverse decades of trends of pedestrianisation, road controls and government mandated car reduction initiatives you are deluded.  

As for put on things to bring people into the city centre. We have already had this debate on your other thread you started.  I provided  a long list of things that the city does to bring people in. 

So why don't you start with a suggestion... What do you feel the city centre needs so desperately? 

What is the major master plan for the market area ?   I know they are doing the old market area but what about the surrounding areas? 

Sheffield City Centre is so much better nowadays than it was when I first arrived here in 1991.

Literally, all of the major developments have been a success: The Winter Gardens, outside the train station, the Moor, Charter Square, Tudor Square, Park Hill (I know not the city centre, but it's just outside), Fitzallan Square, the new Market, The Moor, the Cambridge Street Collective, the tram service. 

I get that people might not like the Council, however I will credit them for the upgrades to the city centre.

• Like 3