how would you change sheffield city centre?

13 hours ago, bassett one said:

i think theres so much needs doing including, sorting out the old market area, make it car friendly and put on things to bring people to the city centre, what do you all think?

Old markets area is being sorted right now.

It is car friendly (how is it not!?).

Regular events are happening all across the city centre.

12 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Cheaper car parking would make a massive difference.

Why would anyone pay an extra £10 (or more) when they could go to an out of town retail park and park for free?

Sheffield is the third cheapest city in the UK for car parking.

• Like 1

I'd make the Maghlev route into town even quicker so that anyone wanting to take photos of people allegedly not doing their jobs could get on the case even faster

50 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

Ahh right, I was thinking of Shepcote Lane... Don't think that's really a big deal where the HQ is is it?  As long as there adequate representation in the City Centre - and that's more the issue

Technically there's 3 Police Stations in Attercliffe, there's the one next door to the English Institute of Sport, there's one just up from there (although technically that's just a call centre) and the one I mentioned opposite Carbrook Retail Park.

Saw this a couple of years ago outside Millenium Galleries.  Now 2 things. 1: I think its quite funny especially about Wakefield! and 2: they are advertising in our city!  Does SCC do the same say in Bradford, Derby?  Maybe we are missing a trick...

Wakefield.jpg

2 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

Saw this a couple of years ago outside Millenium Galleries.  Now 2 things. 1: I think its quite funny especially about Wakefield! and 2: they are advertising in our city!  Does SCC do the same say in Bradford, Derby?  Maybe we are missing a trick...

Wakefield.jpg

Yes we do.

Sheffield is actually well regarded for it's tourism activity in recent years - often winning awards and getting on lists of the best places to visit in the UK and the best city breaks in the UK, etc.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

A number of things:

1) Scrap cycle lanes. You see about 5 cyclists a day using them and thats it. Its a nightmare for motorists.

2) Deal with the aggressive begging. This is a huge problem. Its not the homeless its those that either have accommodation or those that have been offered it and refused and spend all day begging drinking taking drugs fighting and stealing.  Ive lost track of the times ambulances have been called because some spice addict has collapsed. Only to find the same spice addict has refused ambulance being called last time.  Every week you read of someone being arrested for being agressive to the poor shop keepers trying to earn a crust.

3) Get Fargate finished. It wasnt needed to begin with. They have disrupted everyone's lives over this revamp that was not necessary. 

18 minutes ago, woodmally1979 said:

A number of things:

1) Scrap cycle lanes. You see about 5 cyclists a day using them and thats it. Its a nightmare for motorists.

2) Deal with the aggressive begging. This is a huge problem. Its not the homeless its those that either have accommodation or those that have been offered it and refused and spend all day begging drinking taking drugs fighting and stealing.  Ive lost track of the times ambulances have been called because some spice addict has collapsed. Only to find the same spice addict has refused ambulance being called last time.  Every week you read of someone being arrested for being agressive to the poor shop keepers trying to earn a crust.

3) Get Fargate finished. It wasnt needed to begin with. They have disrupted everyone's lives over this revamp that was not necessary. 

1 I'm a motorist, I don't find cycle lanes a nightmare

2 I've never been subject to aggressive begging

3 Fargate hasn't disrupted my life